Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matts New Toy

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Okay theres been some speak of matts new toy since before Christmas, well its not road registered yet but here it is.

Now to those that own VNs and the like and think they have the oldest car at JCCC NSW think again!

Here she is ... Matts new baby

1caa_1.jpg

1fbb_1.jpg

1de4_1.jpg

The run down

-1975 HJ One Tonner
-4 speed manual, "on the floor". Was originally a Tri-Matic so stop whinging about the 4 speed box in the Commodores, things can always be worse :D
- no air conditioning, no power steering which makes it hard to move at low speeds, like reverse into the driveway.
- 253 (4.146 litre) V8 twin barrel carby, which in a ute is more then enough go, and also the same engine fitted to the original Monaro!
- did once have 140kW of power, which doesnt sound like much but think 1975 ... thats years before most of us we're born so 140kW is quite a bit!
- front disc brakes, rear drum brakes which at the moment dont work (I had the pedal flat to the floor when reversing it off the trailer and it didnt stop!)
- Monaro LS dash fitted, says 200 KPH on the speedo which is scary to think about ;P

Now as you can see shes not in the best condition, keep in mind tho its a 33 year old workhorse, but after track day I'll be getting stuck into it, including a spray job, with the aim of having her on the road before the V8 Supercars hit the track in March. It looks worse then it is, like the front looks bare - but all its missing is the chrome bumper bar where the number plate bolts too (which I have sitting in the tray, I just need the RH bracket to bolt it back to the car) and the interior needs the center console from the Monaro because the bench seat has been replaced by 2x VL seats to make shifting easiser.

Anyway bit of a project but it'll make an appearance at some stage this year on a shorter cruise.

All i can say is the One Tonner is back :thumbsup:

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
- no air conditioning, no power steering which makes it hard to move at low speeds, like reverse into the driveway.

Same in mine, but mines a windowless panno!!, cannot see backwards :bang:

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
She looks pretty neat though, no probs with rust arount the cabin?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
hey can someone confirm how to tell what engine it is?

Im pretty sure its only a 253 but I have NFI how to tell with these things and havent started looking into it yet

Richie, no, I'd rather keep it in the JCCC section. MODS PLEASE DO NOT MOVE IT TO THE MY RIDE SECTION.

I'll put one up there one day, still havent done one for the Acclaim!

Swordsy, theres some spots of rust around the cabin. havent really stripped it down and had a good look though.

Oh and if anyone knows where I can find RH brackets for the bumpr bar please let me know, I cant find em on Ebay (only LHS), Rare spares and American Autos dont have them from what I can see!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
oh i hate you lol!!!, ive wanted to get one of those exactly like that for so long hahaha,

good luck with it

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should have 253 cast into the passenger side of the motor (front bottom)
You can get a whole bumper with brackets for less than $150 from most wreckers. Thats with or without the black rubber strip (pick the one you like best) If you want a plain straight one and have a good one with a rubber i'd be willing to swap.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Nice Pickup there, Matt:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Can imagine it has a nice rumble when idling?

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
Matt, it looks better in the pics :p

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh I know but we're going to straighten up the front end, then its getting sprayed mid feb, that and the electrics are the 1st things I will be doing as ive found a complete wiring harness for everything, brake lights, headlights, dash, engine ... complete with new fuse box ... I'm just trying to talk him down on price :p

Paul yes it does, even better when shes revved and the induction sound of the carby sucking air sounds awesome :thumbsup: