Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Really bad fuel economy problem

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
How would you see if it works when put into hot water?
If im not wrong i think the prices of those sensors went up to a crazy amount, like $100. but i'll have to check that out.

So is this with the super smart paper clip. Just keave it in there and start the car???

You are a huge help dude. Thanx heaps

yeh the vn-vr one is like under 20 bucks but the vs one is bloody 109 from me holden dealer (trade price so its even higher) i mean there like the same ****ing thing just slightly different resistance!!! luckily im getting one for $25 from parts store:)

EREXON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Your drving a vs aswell.
Yeah might check how much they are non genuine.

EREXON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
HEy Guys.

Ok well since i changed the 02 sensors and reset the ecu i now have a code popping up.
no engine light came on but once i tried to pull codes this came up:

Code 76 - Air/Fuel ratio variation between left and right banks

This seems very shallow what the hell does it mean. I already knew my air/fuel ratios were stuffed.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you will need to fix the grounding issue for the o2 sensors, there is a good how-to guide.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
There is no way of knowing without taking it out and putting it into hot water - cheaper to stick a newie in or get a seconhand unit from the wreckers.

Also you can check the flow rate at idle when the trip computer is in diag mode. Should be 1.5 lt per hour from memory.

Yeah mine used to range between 1.3 and 1.7 depending on if the car was warmed up.

I'm surprised they used two sensors, given the VT temp gauge is electric? Couldn't they have just re-used the 1 signal?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yeah mine used to range between 1.3 and 1.7 depending on if the car was warmed up.

I'm surprised they used two sensors, given the VT temp gauge is electric? Couldn't they have just re-used the 1 signal?

Oh - I was thinking VN:embarrass. - which has 2 sensors.....

Is the Ecotec different?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
VS has 2 sensors n the VT+ has the 1

EREXON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
So what could the code 76 mean???

I kind of knew that i have f*cked up air/fuel ratios. Now what does it mean with varying fuel ratios between bank 1 and 2.

obviosuly there is something wrong with one of the banks. The only thing that could change is the fuel injectors every other signal is the same is't it.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I believe the duty cycle on the injectors is regulated separately for the left and right side of the engine (ie. cylinders 1/3/5 vs cylinders 2/4/6) due to there being 2 O2 sensors, one for each side of the engine. That error code is saying that one side is running significantly richer than the other.

I'm thinking possibly you may have some bung injectors. Do you ever run premium fuel, or have you tried some injector cleaner?

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
A CO2 sensor senses oxygen right? so theres too much oxygen passing that side sensor so it thinks its running lean and richens the mixture (viscious cycle). its not programmed to sense too much fuel just oxygen. you need to work out where that oxygen is coming from. maybe a vacuum/air leak via a loose inlet manifold perhaps. dont quote me on it though im just guessing.