Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shark fin aerial?

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Thanks-interesting reading.
I was wondering when someone was going to come up with the facts.
Regards
Keith.

SSZ Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6
I really don't see what the problem is getting another shorter antenna of a different car. They are all used for the same frequencies. That is why I used on of another car and didn't get a cheap really short on of ebay...

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
^^ I agree. I just went out and measured the aerial on my GF's Suzuki and it is 18cm long - less than half the length of the VE. Her car has never had any problems with poor reception or interference.

If anything, I'll just buy a factory aerial off a Swift or another car. At least it looks more proportional than that absurd horse whip on VE's...

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
i have a bee sting antenna from ebay and it works great. even one section on the way back from work the reception is a little shotty with the stock antenna, exactly the same amount of freq loss with the bee sting one too. - seems a similar sort of reception being received.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
i have a bee sting antenna from ebay and it works great. even one section on the way back from work the reception is a little shotty with the stock antenna, exactly the same amount of freq loss with the bee sting one too. - seems a similar sort of reception being received.

Could you tell us / show us what type you got?

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
I have this one from ebay:

9caa2.jpg

VE COMMODORE STUB BEE-STING AERIAL__MADE IN AUSTRALIA__ - eBay Body Kits, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Feb-09 10:24:29 AEDST)

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
I just stated that there are some aerials and antennas that can have reception issues.

If you get decent reception off a smaller aerial, awesome. Don't have to worry.

It's usually more prevelant in older cars or with cars that have dodgy head units in them. A lot of the band pass filters on them are really sub-standard. I've also found the frequency demodulators and mixers to be a source of the problem too, not necessarily the aerial itself. However aerials also behave it different ways and it depends on the transmitter and where you live.

Whilst I probably wouldn't bee sting my car, I would probably check out getting a fractal antenna since I live close to the city. If I was anywhere outside darwin, bending a coathanger in the shape of Australia can work too!

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
If I was anywhere outside darwin, bending a coathanger in the shape of Australia can work too!

HAHA stylish, especially on the roof of a VE LMAO!!:p

Good info though. I didn't realise how intricate the antenna system can be. - All those cars with coathangers shoved in them led me to believe i can just shove something metal in there and 'she'll b right':thumbsup: haha.

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
I know its not a sharks fin but I put a Mazda CX7 aerial on my SSV. Less than half the lengths of the standard one and screws straight in. Only cost $24 from the local Mazda dealer too...
DSC01519.jpg
Ditto, that looks the same as the rav4 aerial i got for mine, same price too.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride