Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how are people getting such good km's from their tank?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The OP referred to the post where some members were getting 800 - 900 km showing on their Distance to Empty screen, not their actual consumption.

I topped that post with a photo of my VY showing 1020km to empty. I can assure you that I never got near that from that tankful.

Economical driving and the average speed over a number of refills influence the trip computer. I've had over 1000 km to empty showing on three occasions, but the best consumption I ever got was somewhere in the 600's. I just happen to live adjacent to a freeway, in a regional area where heavy traffic is not generally encountered. It's quite easy under those circumstances to get the Trip Computer to register high numbers - unfortunately, they have little relevance to actual consumption.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
The OP referred to the post where some members were getting 800 - 900 km showing on their Distance to Empty screen, not their actual consumption.

I topped that post with a photo of my VY showing 1020km to empty. I can assure you that I never got near that from that tankful.

Economical driving and the average speed over a number of refills influence the trip computer. I've had over 1000 km to empty showing on three occasions, but the best consumption I ever got was somewhere in the 600's. I just happen to live adjacent to a freeway, in a regional area where heavy traffic is not generally encountered. It's quite easy under those circumstances to get the Trip Computer to register high numbers - unfortunately, they have little relevance to actual consumption.

haha yeah I distinctively remember your post in that thread, very much blew me away. I would have been quite disappointed if my DTE read over 1000 and I only got 600, it'd probably evolve into a competitive thing with my car from week to week lol.

But yes, you did hit the nail on the head with what I originally asked, so thanks :).

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
My car's fuel economy seems to have gone down since I've had my exhaust put on, shouldn't it have gone up (got better)? It's a 2.5" Lukey exhaust from the catback...

Am i missing something or isn't a bigger exhaust system MEANT to decrease your economy?

I had a VS V6 and after my standard exhaust system cracked i replaced it with a 2.5" system and the fuel seemed to just pour out the back. :driving:

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
I get around 500 out of a tank on my stocko vz manual ute, but if i fill up and reset it on the highway down a hill with a tail wind the dte will say over 1000. Never had more than 650 tho and that was driving from brisbane to the goldie everyday for work

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Am i missing something or isn't a bigger exhaust system MEANT to decrease your economy?

I had a VS V6 and after my standard exhaust system cracked i replaced it with a 2.5" system and the fuel seemed to just pour out the back. :driving:

Is that so? Well I was under the impression that a improved exhaust would increase efficiency...

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
i though the same denno but it opens your exhuast up, so when u accelrate it flows better meaning ur burning more fuel and making more power at the same time i guess, instead of havn the stock one where it cant burn as much as quickly cus the system can only take so much exhuast gas at once

hopefully that made sense lol thats what a mate explained to me ages ago so i just took his word

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
that's almost a common sense type thing isn't it haha, if the air from the engine can be pushed out faster, allowing more to be pushed in, combined with fuel then of course the fuel economy would go down :S. Looks like I might have to inform a few of my friends, who are actually mechanics themselves, to stop giving the wrong advice lol.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Is that so? Well I was under the impression that a improved exhaust would increase efficiency...

That is true with an exhaust only but wen u put on extractors it decresses it but it also depends how ur driving the car also. Around city u'll lose milage but on highway driving u'll actually gain economy which is way ppl like myself can get 900kms out of a tank, city driving im lookin at 550kms. Tho now with the new tune both should increase more.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
When you have increased efficiency (in the cruising rev range) you will increase your ecconomy. However most performance mods lower your efficiency at 2000 rpm (big headers/cam/manifold etc) and move it to 5000 +. If you wanted to make a car with great economy you would build the engine so it makes peak torque at 1900 rpm, much like the new small turbo diesels thats why they are so great. More compression is an engine mod that will allways help and right through the rev range

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive got big PH5029 pacemakers and twin 2.25" i still get 10L/100km on the v6 highway use sometimes less 8L/100km