Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

major intermittent problem.

off_tap_vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
iv had my vl for a few years now and for the last 6 or 7 months it just wont go anywhere.
it starts and idols as usual but when i go to take off it just sits there and misses. Its almost
like a flat spot but a big 1. But the next day it will run perfectly. even recently it has backfired and cut out completely. I have done the leads, plugs, dizzy, coil. swapped the afm for a second hand1. diagnostic mode comes back satisfactory while the problem is happening. i have no f*****g ideas.
Any help will be appreciated.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
clear the Computer and do another diagnostic.
either your fuel pump either 2 of them Inertia(inside tank) and high pressure(External)is on its way out.
fuel filter blocked??.....
it does sound like it is a Crank angle Sensor (CAS) problem or the Air Flow Meter(AFM).. thats what they cause when not running correctly.
u say u have swapped the afm was it a good working one???? Backfires can cause the hot wire in the AFM to blow out and destroy the AFM..
was the CAS(inside Dizzy) a good one as well??? (Where these from a wreckers? could be damaged already)
also check all your vacuum lines as well as your intake piping has no leaks between AFM and throttlebody this will cause car to run ****.
Let us know..... it does not sound like a huge problem... i would say nearly all Rb30 owners have had this problem before as the engines are 20+ years old now.
Another could be the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) or AAC Valve located on Plenum..
Goodluck

off_tap_vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
cheers. the afm came from a mate who said it was good. and the dizzy and transistor are only 4 months old. i might check the aac valve. what exactally does this do? and how much? also the TPS how would i go about checking that?

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
as detox nath83 has said and check that your timing is correct and check the condition of your timing belt and tensioner pulley.

Spin

Reaction score
i'd go for a new CAS mate. they are known for being a bitch at the most inopportune moments....like when you want the car to actualy run. I have put three in mine so far.

off_tap_vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
it turns out to be the h/p fuel pump. thanks everyone for the helpful info. cheers