Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer probs

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Hey guys. got a computer about 4 weeks ago. latly it had been really slow on start up. and seems to be always loading and stuff. When i go to see what processes running, it says there are 94 processes running. Why are there so many? I guess this is the reason why computer is slow on start up and is always loading something. how many processes should be running? i think my old one only use to run around 30 or 40 from start up. thanks guys.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
its a hp pavilion dv6-1242TX with 4gb ram. running vista. dont know much else. dont know much about computers. another prob is that when on internet explorer, it sometimes wont load a page, and then i have to shut down all internet explorer windows and start it again. its so annoying. thanks

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
I use Norton 360, which allows me to manage what programs load on startup. Or alternatively, you can stop these programs from starting at all if they aren't needed. If you know what programs do what you can work your way around this problem, but as you said you aren't up to speed on some of this stuff. Wouldn't have anyone you know and trust that could help?

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i have norton 360 too. this is my sis computer so dont really know what im doing on it. Im use to xp haha. And i dont really know which programs should need to be running on start up. Does it sound normal to have 94 processes open on a new computer that i thought didnt have anythin on it haha? I think when we first got it few weeks ago, it had half those processes running on start up. what could cause such a big jump in processes. thanks

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Well i've got 4Gb of memory myself, and i only have forty eight processes running in the background. And i don't experience many issues so perhaps your best bet would be to identify what these processes are and figure out what doesn't need to be there. Has the computer been defragged?

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na, how do you defrag on vista. and how often should you defrag it?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Get a program called crap cleaner, which will help get rid of stuff you dont need.
Keep in mind you can select as little or as much that you want it to do, based on your knowledge. This should 'help' towards keeping the computer faster, but might not be the be all and end all of your problem.

CCleaner - Update

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just having a look at some of the processors that are using most memory. svchost.exe is using a **** load. there is about 15 of svchost running. what is that?