Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI...no go for LPG!

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
It seems CAI wont fit to a LPG engine with all extra **** under the hood. Not without a lot of hassle at least.

So, that being the case, and seeing it came with the car, Im going to put the POD on.

From research, it seems I should be using some sort of heat shield for it. Has anyone made one cheaply, yet effective? Can you give details? Would like a cheap DIY option , thanks !

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
just be careful when you put the pod on, my dad put one on his vr with gas and it played up like crazy, something to do with not enough pressure fromn lack of airbox, im not exactly sure, dont make it permanent, just in case.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
i would put a the pod inside the air box, or evenjust get a K& N filter. I would try hard and fit the CAI, mine works wonders with gas, all i had to do is move the gas convertor, but it all depends on which gas setup you have. good luck anyways

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I got a pod on my vn with gas and to allow the extra air flow, go to a gas place and get them to retune/dyno your car on gas with the increased air flow, you will notice a hell of a lot more power on gas :)

Cheers
Mat

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Mat,

Did you enclose, heat shield the POD in any way?

Would really be necessary to take it to get tuned? I would have thought you could disconnect the battery to reset the comp, and let it learn the new settings to use?

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Also,

I have heard people say put the POD in the airbox. I must be missing something, because I see no way the POD could even come close to fitting inside that little rectangular airbox!?? :embarrass

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Mat,

I had a look at your site and saw your POD isnt enclosed.

My POD came with the car and has no branding that I can see except for "GM" on it . Anyway, its been rolling round the boot so I figure I will put it on and see what happens.

Do you notice your car runnig hotter with the POD, drawing more hot air as it does....?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
The car actually ran cooler because from where the air box was it was sucking heat and heating up from the gas component that's infront of it that stops the use of CAI,

When I first put my POD on, On gas it died at idle, shutters under hard acceleration, took it too a gas place, got told for the flow it was too lean and could cause problems, the guy fiddled with the screw on the mixer and adjusted it and it runs beautifully, And no i havent got any heat sheilding on mine, I got a RWC & also vicroads have checked my enginebay without a comment. I may just be lucky.

Cheers
Mat