Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Exec Sports exhaust sounds TERRIBLE Pls Help

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
how long has the system been on?...the one i had fitted to my SS took weeks and weeks to get the soot buildup inside the pipes to tone it down to a nice crisp howly bark...my advice is wait till you throw the CAI on which if thats a few weeks will give it time to get that buildup on it then if its still the same take it back...and run some 98 in it for a while, while your at it, with the CAI will run a tad smoother...

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
Yes it will make a difference to the note, more noticeably the induction noise, but you can tell the difference with the exhaust too. It won't make any difference to the crappy note though.

Ahh cool, what i was getting at was should i do this before he rejigs the zorst to avoid a disaster to the note if i change it after.

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
I don't have personal experience to put forth a proper suggestion, but i do have a few comments about it.

Sorry for the novel..

Don't flame me ppl. Just conveying my thoughts.

Thanks mate, no stress about the novel, input is what im after, much appreciated.

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
Note of Interest: VZ Exec Alloytechs sound horrid due to the cam settings........ if u ever changed it to like a VE Omega tune....... the sound would change as their cams are tighter (not as much air).

-- An idea, I had a similar problem when I kitted my car out........... either change the whole cat back to a single 2.5" ....... or u could try "adding" two resonators (one for each line) directly after the cats which will change the note........

AND OR......... have them add a H-Pipe which will also change the note.

:D I have all of the above. Mines virtually quiet, but has a real unique sound on take off...... My sound changes everytime I change my tune :D

Awesome, another avenue, Thanks man.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ahh cool, what i was getting at was should i do this before he rejigs the zorst to avoid a disaster to the note if i change it after.

No harm in doing it first, that way if you do it after and you're not happy, you will have no comeback to the exhaust place.

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
how long has the system been on?...the one i had fitted to my SS took weeks and weeks to get the soot buildup inside the pipes to tone it down to a nice crisp howly bark...my advice is wait till you throw the CAI on which if thats a few weeks will give it time to get that buildup on it then if its still the same take it back...and run some 98 in it for a while, while your at it, with the CAI will run a tad smoother...

Cheers man, she is only ever run on premium fuel from band name servos so thats no hassel. Its been on for 3ish weeks and ive even been for a big long drive 600k's sightseeing with the kids and plenty of stop start traffic around melbs. Looks like im gonna get me a CAI today through popular vote. Cheers

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
OOOOKAY. Update time. I dropped the car off only to discover the guy has a whole new catback system sitting there waiting for it. A stainless X-Force twin 2.5. I decended my knowledge from you all upon him and requested that he makes the tips sit nicer as the last effort was shoit. Im really not expecting much from the system change, he seemed rather happy with himself so we will see how it sounds when i pick her up. My prediction is an extra buzzy milo tin but he does have some time to play. I will repost on how she goes after i pick her up.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hmmmm....2 1/2" X force on an alloytec.....I predict worse than before.

DeathVZaudiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Exec Sedan
Annnnnnnnd the verdict. Well the tips are placed very well.......... The overall system is quieter, he modified noting else. That freaky buzz is still there but nowhere near as loud or as embarrasing and only under higher revs than before, sounds quite tuff when i take off now. If i am to boot it as if i was taking off in a hurry the buzz chimes on in. Im actually alot more of a fan of it than before. If the addition of hotdogs as hinted to me earlier in this section would even just take a little more of the buzz I would be very pleased indeed. Id be happy to leave her this way, sounds quite nice just to burble around in.
Mind you, i drove her home in 40 degree heat, cant wait to try her out on a cool morning. Try out all the scenarios.

Not_An_Abba_Fan: Im originally from Dampier W.A. Top stuff. Thanks heaps for your help too. And to everyone else in this matter. Cheers

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
pft they sound horrible until they are hot......... cold day may make u wanna puke.

A "Guarentee'd" way to silence, change the note would be to change the rear x-force resonator with a bigger one but keep ur tips for the raspy sound.

Again...... it's a picky thing.

Too large-a-resonator and you'll have good bottom end torque, and it'll restrict the top end killing it somewhat. Too small ...... still too loud. Safe to say any "glass packed" resonator will seal the sound in better then a straight metal one.

But I think the concensus between everyone here when it comes to anything X-Force twin 2.5 on a 6........... FAIL

PS. On a side note, go a K&N Filter with the 2 hole mod if u haven't.......... do that first, it'll change ur note slightly.