Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hello - Pontiac G8 Holden VE Commodore Peerless SLS subs

Mike P

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 A6 L76
Hi all.....

I'm from Michigan in the United States and I own a cammed 2008 Pontiac G8 GT (basically a VE Holden Commodore). I love it but am looking to do some minor upgrades to the sound system.

I've replaced all 4 door factory speakers with 6.5" Polk Audio db651's (non-shallow mount kind), and they sound really good.

I am looking to improve the car audio, but kinda on a budget.

I need my trunk space, so I'm looking to replace the factory 8" subwoofers with some 8" Peerless SLS subs. Has anyone here on the forum used these 8" subs in the factory location in a free air application on the rear parcel shelf? Or does anyone have another good suggestion for replacement 8" subs on a VE Commodore / G8?

* I was planning on using a 220 x 2 watt RMS (@ 4 ohms) amp to drive the SLS subs....

Thanks in advance......

Subscribing.....

Mike P

Reaction score
Members Ride
No one here has replaced the stock 8" subwoofers in a VE Commodore?

Any advice would be appreciated..... thanks...... :)

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
I'm waiting to see what people say about those Peerless subs too! I have (factory) 8 inchers in the rear of my Caprice and I have wrecked 3 speakers so far so it's time for a change. Was thinking of going with these free subs aswell as I don't want enclosures etc (I'm not going for all out volume). Hope you get a knowledgeable repsonse soon! :)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Are those Peerless subs 4 or 8 ohm?

I think its just something you have to try, most of the time the stock subs will be removed and a proper sub/s and enclosure fitted.

Anyway, welcome to the site..... ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I think more to the point, do you like the sound of infinite baffle? An IB speaker sounds a lot different to one that is i an enclosure. I've never seen any point in going IB with subs, if you were, it should be only from an accoustic point of view, in which case you would want the rest of your setup the same, which isn't possibe.

Also, an 8'', is more of a mid bass, speaker, rather than a sub, despite it's marketing. It depends on what fq's you want to play aswell. I can't see any need to have an 8'', and a 6,5'', unless you got really technical and went all out on a 3 way front stage. For rear fill, or sub - bass duties, there no point. Especially, in such a large car. Hope this helps

Mike P

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm waiting to see what people say about those Peerless subs too! I have (factory) 8 inchers in the rear of my Caprice and I have wrecked 3 speakers so far so it's time for a change. Was thinking of going with these free subs aswell as I don't want enclosures etc (I'm not going for all out volume). Hope you get a knowledgeable repsonse soon! :)

Black Caprice:

I went ahead and ordered them. They've gotten a ton of favorable reviews on DIY Mobile Audio - Technical, Advanced & Informative Usually people use them for mid bass in their front doors, but some people have used them more specifically like our application. They are for sale on the Madisound website, and ship out of Wisconsin in the United States, but I've read threads about there being an Austrialian distributor.....

At the very least I will report back on these. I am looking to do my audio install starting next Tuesday 1/19/2010 I'm going to have these wired for a 4 ohm load, as they are 8 ohm single voice coil speakers. The amp that I'm using is 2 x 220 watts RMS @ 4 ohms so I think they'll be getting 110 watts RMS each......

Are those Peerless subs 4 or 8 ohm?

I think its just something you have to try, most of the time the stock subs will be removed and a proper sub/s and enclosure fitted.

Anyway, welcome to the site..... ;)

Holden Boy:

They are 8 ohm single voice coil. I'm going to have them wired so they are set to recieve 4 ohms......

I think more to the point, do you like the sound of infinite baffle? An IB speaker sounds a lot different to one that is i an enclosure. I've never seen any point in going IB with subs, if you were, it should be only from an accoustic point of view, in which case you would want the rest of your setup the same, which isn't possibe.

Also, an 8'', is more of a mid bass, speaker, rather than a sub, despite it's marketing. It depends on what fq's you want to play aswell. I can't see any need to have an 8'', and a 6,5'', unless you got really technical and went all out on a 3 way front stage. For rear fill, or sub - bass duties, there no point. Especially, in such a large car. Hope this helps

Holden Commodore VP:

I really need all of my trunk space, as it is my wife & I, and our two daughters. When we take trips to the relatives house the boot is usually totally packed. Also, I'm not really looking to blow the doors off the neighbor, just an improved sound with a little more added bass.....

I am suprised more people haven't chimed in on different replacement subs that they've tried to use......

Thanks!

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
I understand what Holden Commodore VP is trying to say and obviously small 'subs' or mids will be no match for enclosed 10s or 12s, but surely a pair of amplified aftermarket speakers will sounds better than the stock ones?

I'm also at that stage where I just can't be assed with a boot full of subs and enclosures, a(I also need my boot and am not trying to win a sound off). Added to the fact that there are already 2 nice slots for the speakers to go into with out any change at all.

Good luck with the install!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep im interested in how this turns out, it will definitely be louder using aftermarket subs and amp.....Ive done a few "free-air" sub installs, all of which resulted in better bass response, but in some cases ive just installed 6x9s and powered them off an amp, which gave better results as the sound was full range.

Nevertheless, please post up your thoughts when its done :)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I understand what Holden Commodore VP is trying to say and obviously small 'subs' or mids will be no match for enclosed 10s or 12s, but surely a pair of amplified aftermarket speakers will sounds better than the stock ones?

I'm also at that stage where I just can't be assed with a boot full of subs and enclosures, a(I also need my boot and am not trying to win a sound off). Added to the fact that there are already 2 nice slots for the speakers to go into with out any change at all.

My post probably sounded like a bit of a downer.I probably could have explained it a little better. Like HoldeBoy said, there is the dissadvantage that they are not full range. You will have a narrow fq band, coming from behind you, combined with a full range fq in the front. An 8 inch, in IB apllication, won't have a fq response low enough to appear non-dirctional. Your ears will always be able to tell where that increase in mid bass response is coming from. But if that dosent bother you, then of course go for it.

The Peerless range are very good for the money. So long as your using them for what their designed for, (mid bass) then you won't have any worries.

Mike P

Reaction score
Members Ride

+1 yep me too, I need my boot/trunk space. I to understand the 2 - 8" Peerless SLS subs won't be as loud as a sealed or ported 12" sub, but I will be fine with a nice little bump in bass over stock.

I'll definitely report back.....

Yep im interested in how this turns out, it will definitely be louder using aftermarket subs and amp.....Ive done a few "free-air" sub installs, all of which resulted in better bass response, but in some cases ive just installed 6x9s and powered them off an amp, which gave better results as the sound was full range.

Nevertheless, please post up your thoughts when its done :)

I think I'm going to run the 8" Peerless SLS subs at 100 hertz and down. And I'm going to run my 4 Polk Audio db651 speakers at 80 hertz and up. Both amps that are going to run the 8" subs & the 6.5" Polk's have nice Full range, Low Pass, High Pass cross over adjustable filters.

The 4 channel amp running the 4 Polk Audio db651's is 75 x 4 watts RMS, so that should give them plenty of power.... :)

I will definitely post my thoughts when it is finished. I can't wait!

My post probably sounded like a bit of a downer. I probably could have explained it a little better. Like HoldeBoy said, there is the dissadvantage that they are not full range. You will have a narrow fq band, coming from behind you, combined with a full range fq in the front. An 8 inch, in IB apllication, won't have a fq response low enough to appear non-dirctional. Your ears will always be able to tell where that increase in mid bass response is coming from. But if that dosent bother you, then of course go for it.

The Peerless range are very good for the money. So long as your using them for what their designed for, (mid bass) then you won't have any worries.

The stock/factory 8" free air subs are already not full range speakers, so I am used to how the soundstage in the car sounds. That will not change. The rear door speakers are Polk Audio db651's as well & those are behind my head too, so there are nice mids & highs coming from the rear out of those speakers.

The Peerless SLS 8" subs are a great deal, so that's why I'm going to try them.

* I'm just supprised that more VE Commodore owners or Commodore owners with 8" subs in the factory locations, that may have changed them haven't chimed in........? :wave: