Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No traffic lights who gives way

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
GUYs and Girls

Bad news smacked into a silly lady at the intersection on my way home, the lights were out and i gave way to the right like i thought your supposed to do???intersection looked clear took of and the other driver didnt see me and oviuosly didnt give way to her right and bang smacked her in her front wheel, took my front end off. attached is my attempt at explaining it better.

The blue blob is me, the cream is a car waiting to turn and the black is her, so she didnt see me cause of it, now i cant find any legislation that states give way to the right???and am i in the wrong or right???? please set my mind at ease...

regards john

Attachments

• bingle.jpg
    bingle.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 317

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Check the light pole there may be a sign saying "STOP" if lights are not working,
you may or may not be in the wrong

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
lights out at an intersection it then becomes a uncontrolled fourway intersection and yes you give way to your right , much the same as a round about

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
lights out at an intersection it then becomes a uncontrolled fourway intersection and yes you give way to your right , much the same as a round about

ummm, roundabouts rule is you must give way to anyone already on the roundabout, not give way to the right

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
If the lights are out, technicaly you should treat it as a stop sign. But who dose that on a main road? Did either of you stop? I would say it was your fault if she was stoped and pulled out infront of you and you didnt stop but i duno.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
At the end of the day you will both have to wear a portion of the blame in this instance. I assume you are insured and she is also, therefore the two Insurance companies will battle out each parties liability. If you are not insured and she is, her insurance company will pay her repairs then come after you personally for the portion they feel you are liable for.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
taken from vic roads website ,
Traffic light failure or flashing yellow
If traffic lights at the intersection are not operating, or the traffic lights are showing only a flashing yellow traffic light you must give way as if the intersection did not have traffic lights, or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
ummm, roundabouts rule is you must give way to anyone already on the roundabout, not give way to the right
May be correct in NSW, not everywhere though. Some states it is give way to right, which I think is better, saves confusion if you and someone to your right are both waiting to go with noone in the roundabout.

To OP, I'm also under the impression its give way to the right..

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
taken from vic roads website ,
Traffic light failure or flashing yellow
If traffic lights at the intersection are not operating, or the traffic lights are showing only a flashing yellow traffic light you must give way as if the intersection did not have traffic lights, or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line.

By reading this, its telling me you must take care and give way to your right!!!

06vzcalais

Reaction score
give way to the right unless (someone is in the roundabout) im pretty sure its in the NSW learners test somewhere