Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 auto stuck in first

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
FG XR6 TURBO /RIP VT II LS1 Clubby, VR Commodore S
hi i have a vr v6 auto
that has lately been getting stuck in first gear
usually when i first turn it on and go for a drive
it changes gears all sweet then after a minute or 2
gets stuck and drops to 1st gear once i stop at lights etc..
turn it on and off its back to normal then happens again

anyone have any ideas ?
this problem started happening after i tried to switch my ignition leads to top gun leads
currently back on the old ones that was working normally for a few days after taking the top guns off

thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
check for error codes could be shift solinoid in the box or tps or vss

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks delco
i will first thing tomorrow

what is tps and vss ?

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
throttle position switch, vehicle speed sensor

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
TPS is the throttle position sensor if it reads to high a voltage it will hold gears to a higher vehicle speed than normal so wont shift out of 1st same if the vss is reading wrong will hold gears.you turn off and on it resets tps closed voltage at closed throttle and probably does the same thing again confusing the ecu

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
TPS is the throttle position sensor if it reads to high a voltage it will hold gears to a higher vehicle speed than normal so wont shift out of 1st \
ye i noticed that if i rev it out it eventually changes gears but jumps into the next gear

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
maybe even a stuffed sticky solenoid in tranny. sounds familiar.

Stugdum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
My bet is on the TPS, mine was doing the exact same thing about 3 months ago, changed the TPS and its been perfect ever since. Let me give you a word of warning though, there is a tiny little rubber part that almost always falls out if you try to change it with the throttle body on the car like I did. It is so tiny you wont even notice it fall out. Mine did and it was like I had never changed the TPS, in fact at first I thought I had bought a dodgy one from brand new, but on further investigation found that slippery little sucker had fallen out. I got down on my hands and knees and searched high and low and eventually found it in my driveway, not far from where I did the job.It is basically a little cap on the end of the rod that goes up into the throttle body. It is probably better to take the throttle body off, although it can be done with the throttle body in situ if you are aware of that little rubber gizmo, and keep an eye out for it. I have an LPG setup attached to the throttle body, making it a PITA to remove it, so I took the easy route, but if you dont have all that gas **** attached to it, I would suggest removing it to change the TPS just to be sure, that way you can give it a good clean with carby cleaner while you have it off. Hope this helps.

Stugdum

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
yeah it does sound like a TPS, like a 3 speed older ford falcon when the TV gets stuck.

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks for all the input guys, im about to check my error codes as i cant wait till the morning

Stugdum, i used to have a LPG set up before i rebuilt my engine, so mayb im having the same problem as you and the TPS or rubber thing has fallen out
and also how much does a TPS cost these days

thanks guys