Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

legal p-plate modifications

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
well with all the information u guys have given me..
i think ill look for an air intake system, different exhaust, and maybe extractors..
what kind of price range would i be looking at??

- just use a knife and make a bigger intake pipe for your air (free + one knife)
- K&N Panel Filter $99 from Autobarn
- 2.5" Catback with no resi $250 supplied and fitted
- Extractors from $500-$700. My Hurricane Extractors are mint and cost $500 supplied and installed, dont bother with $700 extractors, you wont get $200 difference.

hope that helps =)

jw.pfitzner

Fitzy
Reaction score
Members Ride
6 Speed Gen III VX SS
extractors send rego sky high, dont know why but they do, especially for p platers haha, i think its not a matter of what u can do legally but wether u get pulled up or not, and havin a p plate on your number plate theyre gonna pull u up just for that, then its gonna be like havin a neon sign sayin pull me over with rims, subs and exhaust mods and with the cold air intake, u hear it suckin from a mile away, a cops gonna hear the near turbo like sound and switch his lights on just cause its a chance to fill his quota...

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
just get a larger intake, dont bother with any of the insanly cool intakes like a pod filter, just get a aunger intake, plexi screws into your original holes along the front of the car, just have to take the old one off and cut a small section of plastic off. throw a highflow fliter in and away we go, thats all ive got plus a factory lower (9C1 pack) so just get that and a lower, should get decent.....also get it tuned after the intake, i was too lazy and waited till i got it serviced and had an emissions check done, had the tune changed for the high air flow and now my engine runs so smooth i can put a full cup of coffee on it and it doesnt loose a drop...also run decent fuel, no e10 crap, i only run the BP 91 octane and always fill up from the same servo, vt ecu's learn what fuel you put in it and if you change it every week the ecu can crack the shits! and an oil change every 5000k, dont bother with any big mods, we just get in trouble, keep it simple and just look after it and it will work until you can get something bigger and better!! :)

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
The 'mod' rule doesn't really exist because you can always claim it came with that, and i think at the end of the day, the police dont care about loudness of car or anything

What a load of BS. Firstly, as WogBoyz stated, you can be fined for having your car too loud. There's people from the EPA that drive around also and get the registration of cars they believe are too loud and that's when you get a letter in the mail telling you to present your car at the local Police station for inspection.
Secondly, claiming you bought the car with those mods already done means SFA. You get caught behind the wheel of a car that has 'illegal mods', YOU'RE the one who cops it. Pleading ignorance like that will get you laughed at by whoever pulls you over.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
What a load of BS. Firstly, as WogBoyz stated, you can be fined for having your car too loud. There's people from the EPA that drive around also and get the registration of cars they believe are too loud and that's when you get a letter in the mail telling you to present your car at the local Police station for inspection.
Secondly, claiming you bought the car with those mods already done means SFA. You get caught behind the wheel of a car that has 'illegal mods', YOU'RE the one who cops it. Pleading ignorance like that will get you laughed at by whoever pulls you over.

Well said wikky.

O.p. dont cut a whole in your intake with a knife. The aesthetics of that will be nil.
As others have suggested, try going with a supercharged intake setup or cai (Mace make a god setup)
In terms of other mods, whilst your on your p's that is, try working on the handling of the car and how it looks. wont make the car Stand out as much as if you install a loud exhaust and means you have all the equipment to support a faster car when you get off your p's.
Items/mods such as Swaybars, Strutbraces, Brakes, Shocks, Suspension, wheels, colour coding door handles and mirrors would be good places to start

INtensity

Reaction score
Members Ride
P-Plater VL
Well said wikky.

O.p. dont cut a whole in your intake with a knife. The aesthetics of that will be nil.
As others have suggested, try going with a supercharged intake setup or cai (Mace make a god setup)
In terms of other mods, whilst your on your p's that is, try working on the handling of the car and how it looks. wont make the car Stand out as much as if you install a loud exhaust and means you have all the equipment to support a faster car when you get off your p's.
Items/mods such as Swaybars, Strutbraces, Brakes, Shocks, Suspension, wheels, colour coding door handles and mirrors would be good places to start

well said mate.. i was also thinking just about that.. hwo can i change the handling of the car?? ive heard lowering, better tyres of course.. but im not sure about anything else??

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
get some thicker antiroll bars (swaybars) they help a lot....tightens the rid up, makes it a bit harder but definatly handle better! get yourself one of the gregory's commodore books if you want a book instead of using a computer and asking questions!!!

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II

Well polcie around hear really dont care about noise as long as you aren't being stupid.

Also an exhaust and stuff is not 'illegal' for a p-plater if you modify your car for performance it is, but its still under the kw rating by far. Also none of the mods mentioned are 'illegal'.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
well said mate.. i was also thinking just about that.. hwo can i change the handling of the car?? ive heard lowering, better tyres of course.. but im not sure about anything else??

Wider tyres/wheels give you better handling in the dry, but in the wet its a different story. with lowering you dont want to "drop in on its nuts" cause that will do the opposite, so a set of lows/superlows springs and shortened and hardened shocks should do the trick (correct me if im wrong). then panhard rod if your live axle, strut brace, sway bars, front and rear link pins. Replacing all bushes as you go (this is extremely important). That'll give you good enough handling, unless your thinking track car.