Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS coolant smell?

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
Hey guys i just got a service yesterday and today after driving about an hour everything was fine...

then the second time i took the car out i was stuck in traffic on a highway and it was abit flooded... after goin thru all that water, i got to the shopping centre and as i was about to drive in all this steam was coming out of the bonnet... not much just barely noticeable...

now when i parked and popped the bonnet there was nothing left.... but it did smell like coolant burning and i think its stuck abit in the aircon as well when i turn it on...

now its hard to check for leakages cuz of the rain but should i be worried?
or was it just the flood getting to the engine making it steam up n smell?

or did the holden mechanics fk up?

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
hmm i used to have a car that had a coolant smell but no leaks... weird as hell but possible spilt some and heat is making it travel into the cabin.. worth checking levels..

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
strange because i just got it back from holden yesterday... today when i drove it it was fine for like an hour....

then i drive thru the flooded road n all this steam was coming out of the bonnet but by the time i stopped it was gone... probably from the water on the extractors???? no overheating nothing

samdssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 VE SS-V Manual
this sounds a bit strange but in my opinion holden probably topped up your coolant and when its warmed up some come out the overflow maybe??

I dont think they would wreck it, driving through water isnt the best for your engine when its hot either, just check the coolant levels and go from there..

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
Ye I had no choice in traffic unfortunately I'll check everything today thanks mate

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
they probably spilt some when refilling. happened to me once before with engine oil and it started smoking when it got hot, thought the car was on fire haha.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
they probably spilt some when refilling. happened to me once before with engine oil and it started smoking when it got hot, thought the car was on fire haha.

^this

they've most likely spilt some coolant somewhere in the engine bay that doesnt get hot. as the water has splashed up into the engine bay, its displaced this coolant and put it somewhere hot where it can evaporate (and smell).

just keep an eye on guages and watch for signs, but if all running good I wouldnt worry about it. if you had a coolant leak, youd know about it by now (if car was hot enough to evaporate water, it would have been hot enough to raise the temp guage if something was wrong).

BLKSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V
Coolant smell

The heater hoses that come from down near the water pump, then travel upwards together and through two plastic joiners leak through these joiners. GM will first replace the clips with proper hose clamps then if that doesnt fix it a few complaints will get you all new hoses.
Mine was fixed on a saturday morning and was written off on monday morning by a drunk/drugged driver that ran a red and t boned me at 90klm. (drivers side)
Cheers Jeff
PS check the level of your overflow bottle

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
hey guys i went to holden n couldnt find anything wrong yesterday,... today as i was driving i got the ENGINE WARNING LIGHT

took it straight to holden.... hope they freakin fix it because im tired of taking my car in for warranty issues...... WHATS HAPPEND TO GOOD QUALITY CARS these days? r most of them lemons? or is it the service department leaving apprentices to work on our cars that we pay top dollar for?

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
[QW-11-KE];1654226 said:
hey guys i went to holden n couldnt find anything wrong yesterday,... today as i was driving i got the ENGINE WARNING LIGHT

took it straight to holden.... hope they freakin fix it because im tired of taking my car in for warranty issues...... WHATS HAPPEND TO GOOD QUALITY CARS these days? r most of them lemons? or is it the service department leaving apprentices to work on our cars that we pay top dollar for?

You just said it. I will be taking my car to local mechanic that does log book servicing. Your car was exposed to mechanics still learning. Don't get me wrong that these apprentices have got to learn their trade, but not on my ute..