Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will 6.5 inch type r splits fit into vy front doors?

tuckinvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8L S pack
I just bought alpine spr-17s. 6.5 inch 2 way component type r splits. got em for $270. will 6.5 inch fit into the front doors easy i heard they have to be modified abit to fit in? how do you go about getting them in?
one more thing is i want to amp them. they are 110 watts RMS each so will a 300-400w 4 channel be enough to power them? what brand amps are good to go with the quality of alpine to keep my type r's sounding really good?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yes they will fit, may have to cut back off door pod, no problems.

For the amp, we need RMS power ratings or a model number.

NonStick Squid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS Ute m6, VS Calais
i had em in my old vx so yeah id say so. had to cut the spacer you get with them a lil bit but nothin to "custom" :)
i was runnin 2 splits and 2 coaxial 2 ways (both r type) off the alpine pdx 4.100 they got loud and never distorted

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You are better off making your own speaker mount out of MDF, rather than trying to modify the existing plastic mounting ring. Any leaks and you will immedaitely lose your mid bass. Be sure to weather treat any MDF before final fitting. If you haven't deadened your doors, i suggest doing this, and make sure that you fill any service holes aswell. If your just planning on dropping them straight in there then you will never get them sounding their best.

Just get which ever amp provides suitable input power and is within your budget. You won't find any audible difference amongst amplifiers , so just keep it in prospective to how much you have already spent.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
I got 70RMS going to a Front set of mine, They sound O.K with this Figure.

When i bridge to 250RMS they fail pretty quick! Haha

Modification is pretty easy, Depending how anal you won't to go with the Install. The plastic pod has to have some cutting done if that's the path you choose.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I got 70RMS going to a Front set of mine, They sound O.K with this Figure.

When i bridge to 250RMS they fail pretty quick! Haha

Modification is pretty easy, Depending how anal you won't to go with the Install. The plastic pod has to have some cutting done if that's the path you choose.

LOL, I wonder why?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Passive crossovers will only handle power to a certain point anyway, so any extra power beyond that isn't going to make your speakers "fail" as you put it. If your speakers are not handling the rated input power , then it's most likely an issue with your high and low pass filter settings, not the amplifiers output.

I wouldn't say being anal about an install. If it was a simple drop in replacement coaxial to replace a blown speaker in a factory system then fine. But if you think that a $350 set of speakers are fine just be installed straight into the plastic pod, then i guarantee you i could make a $100 set sound better.

Last edited:

tuckinvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8L S pack
will this do for the amp:? Pioneer GM-6300F, 600w.............or Boss Audio CX600 800w....................or Kicker 08ZX650.4 650w

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina