Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Catch Cans// Worth it??

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I wouldnt be using a catch can from Supercheap. Most of them don't do much aside from divert the oily air for a brief period.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I wouldnt be using a catch can from Supercheap. Most of them don't do much aside from divert the oily air for a brief period.

but you could add some steel wool inside it, extend the infeed line below the steel wool and then it works as well as $200 brand name catch can :thumbsup:

instead of always been negative soop, why not try been a positive person and have something nice to say

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Why, when you can by a catch can that does all that from the get go for roughly the same as what you will pay at supercheap???

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
then by all means, why don't you google a link for us for said catch can

coasty

the voices told me to
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe & vt berlina both v6
theyre all crap they store a little bit of air pressure and a bit of oil drips in as well. unless your motor is just about stuffed from being flogged you wont see the oil burn. anyway supercheap has 20% off this saturday

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
theyre all crap they store a little bit of air pressure and a bit of oil drips in as well. unless your motor is just about stuffed from being flogged you wont see the oil burn. anyway supercheap has 20% off this saturday

have you seen the oil vapour at 6,000rpm in an engine? there are a few youtube vids worth watching.

20% of sat, sounds good

QldKev

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
For a healthy street car they are a waste of money. If you do track days and the like there may be some benefit but for the most part it's a wank.

Reaper

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
I'll be running one but that's because the Walky throttle bodies don't have an inlet for breathers from rocker covers to hook up to! I have had screw fittings fitted to rocker covers and will run braided lines to catch can. However I will then vent into air box. To keep it legal. As ones with filters on the top are not technically legal. I am trying to look like u give a **** if it's legal lol.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
and yet, look at the intake manifold of any high mileage engine and what is full off? how many threads do you see on this forum where the first response is clean the TB and IAC? a basic catch can setup within a legal PCV system eliminates this problem. car/engine manufacturers don't give a damn because these issues occur long after your 100,000km/3year warranty has run out.