Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil change

vsowner94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive s2
G'day everyone,
sorry to ask such a simple question but i cant find the search
function to dig through the forums.
But how do i change my oil and oil filter?? i bought new oil
and a new filter because im not sure how long it has been or how the car has been driven or anything before i got it, so thought i might as well just do it, to be safe.

Where exactly are the things i drain it from and what bolts etc. do i undo
to take the filter off and pretty much replace it all ??

Cheers

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Very very easy,

1. Jack the car up and put safety stands behind it (Only jack it up just enough so you can get under neath it.
2. There will be a sump plug which is about a 17 or 19mm, undo this
3. The Oil Filter can generally be undone by hand, if you are having trouble use a rag, still no go, just jam a long flat blade screw driver in it and twist it anti clockwise.
4. Before you put the new oil filter on, get some of you're new oil and fill the new oil filter about half way and use a little bit of oil around the oil filter seal
5. Put it all back on the same way it came off, let the car done off the stands and jack. Fill her up with new oil.

Enjoy :)

The oil filter is the white cylinder looking bit with the Z154 written on it.
100_1917.jpg

vsowner94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive s2
cheers mate! where abouts is the sump plug though? is it on that picture, so i know what to look for

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Sump plug will be on the passenger side on the left side of the sump (passenger side)

vsowner94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive s2
Thanks alot mate :)
very much appreciated.

hopefully it doesnt rain tomorrow, or atleast holds off till about 1 :p

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Mumboman's instructions are good but for a first time user I'd add that it's not necessary to pre-fill the filter (messy) and when you replace the sump plug make sure the gasket is still on the bolt...do not overtighten this bolt/plug as the sump is made of alloy and is soft. Be careful as the oil can be very hot plus they reckon it's cancerous (what ain't!). It should take about 4.5 to 5 litres of oil.
If you want to do all your servicing you'd be advised to buy a Gregorys workshop manual - it will pay for itself very quickly and give you a lot of satisfaction.

commodorefan93

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 3.8L Vr Aclaim
i did this just yesterday mate, my first oil change and with a little bit of smarts it was piss easy.

Heres what i did, buy yourself some oil (ask the guy what type, for your engine and the k's its done) get some engine cleaning oil flush crap, a new filter and a big 6 or 7 L tray, rags are also a must,

OK first you wana chuck the engine clean in with your old oil , a 500 ml bottle is enough. once thats in you wana turn on and run your engine for a good ten minutes, this will get so much **** out of an old engine.
Now give her a little while to cool down and make the underneath of your engine accesible, some people use ramps or jacks but im a small bloke and just got on my back and slid under.
Get yourself a shifter or a spanner ( 20 mm i think i used) and undo the sump plug (the bolt at the lowest point of your engine where the oil is aka the sump) you wana have your tray ready underneath the hole cause it will pour out !!(dont loose any oil as my mum and dad werent at all happy about the new black oil patch on there driveway)!!
Get up from under the car and undo your oil filter, make sure tray will catch runoff from here too as it will leak. I got my filter off with out too much hassle but it can be a pain, im sure you will get it.
Once oil has stopped drooling out of the engine move the tray out and re insert the sump plug, get your new filter and before screwing it on get some of your new oil on your finger and wipe plenty around the grey seal of the filter.
Screw her back on but not to tight just a couple of quarter turns after the filter has made contact, fill it up with oil, make sure everything is screwed back on give the plug and filter a wipe with a rag and start her up, back her up the driveway jump on the brakes and drive back forward with a "jolting stop", hop out and check the driveway,plug and filter for any leaking oil, if all clear go for a cruise to get that oil fully pumping throught the engine

i thought i would post somthing detailed because I remember not knowing anything and if it is explained to me like im stupid it helps.

Have fun workin on your car i hope it all goes smooth!

Cheers, Jason

Last edited:

commodorefan93

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 3.8L Vr Aclaim
I should add that if the car is jacked up always i repeat always make sure the car is safe to work under and is not going to come down and crush you!

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Once you've done it go for a quick drive and check for leaks after

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
You should never use a shifter on any type of nut or bolt. Use a socket or a ring spanner! Putting the car on ramps is not always such a good idea when doing an oil change as a lot of the oil will run to the back of the motor. That's why jacking it up undoing the sump plug, then letting the car off the car is the best way to get majority of the old oil out as the car will then be level again. Lubing up the seal is a must as it helps to stop any distortion to the seal.