Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking noise from front right of engine bay. Holden say its the ABS. Need help.

DJM6.0L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Ute 2009
I've got a 2009 VE Commodore SS and have been hearing a knocking noise in the front right side of the engine bay for the last 10 months. Almost every time the car has been stationary for a period, I'll hear the knocking once the speed reaches 15kms/hr.

I've taken the car back to Holden several times and they have not been able to find the problem.

The latest from Holden is that it's a normal sound in the car however they cannot show me any other car with the same sort of knocking sound. Holden are trying to tell me that this is the sound of the ABS calibrating or some sort of self check. I don't accept that this is the problem as it didn't happen from the day I took the car home, it only started 14 months later.

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it before? Or can someone suggest where to go from here as Holden are unwilling to take the this matter further.

Thanks

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
Mines the same after I start the car when I reach 13km/h a view ticking/knocking noises I just ignore it as I have read here that this is the abs calibrating it's self and is normal

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
+1. Have the same thing after first start and reaching approx. 15km/h
Have been told by a number of places that it is the ABS going through its self test.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Mine doesn't make that noise when first driving off. Although mine is an 07 I have driven some MY09 and 10's and haven't heard it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
my 2010 sv6 does it too
sounds like abs check and nothing more

Impulse SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
+1 for the ABS self testing, mine is a 2007 sv6 and it has done it since new, although you may not hear it at all if you have the windows up and/or the radio on. There are many threads about clunks and noises from the right hand fron on hear in which this accounts for most of them.

Jamesr86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
There is a thread about this already.

My 07 SS does this, along with everyone else's VE. It is the ABS self test. Mine kicks in at 13kmh.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Might have to get my ABS system checked.... Definately no clunking sound on first drive off

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
The OTP stated that the noise was not there earlier so it could be something out of the norm!

I'm not certain that the engine bay clunk you hear is the ABS totally. You can normally feel the ABS self test sequence through your brake pedal or even hear it as a slight buzzing noise.

The clunk in the engine bay area (mine clunks twice at about 28 K's) is possibly the EBD or the ESP doing its self check. What ever it is, its an unacceptable noise for today's build technology. Get with it Holden/Bosch/Hyundai:boxing:

Maybe its how the unit is mounted in the bay. Maybe it could be isolated/insulated a little better to reduce the clunk. As for Holden not pursuing any further, I would go to another dealer that cares about service:rolleyes:

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
I've got a 2011 VE2 SS Ute and mine cluncks twice too. Once around 15km/h (usually when the auto is upshifting from 1-2) and then around 28km/h which is usually when the auto is upshifting from 2-3. Only ever happens on start up when first taking off. As it happens every single time and always at the same speeds I just thought it wa normal...and still do.