Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series II GPS unit

newcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
just got my sv6 and I like it! GPS is nice. But in order to get the GPS speed warnings and bluetooth phone connection, I need to keep the IQ on?
But if I turn the IQ on, is it possible to keep radio off? Sometimes I just want the GPS and phone connection on, without music in the background.

My GPS says under "Nav config" it is
Windows CE5.0
D117
Australia + New Zealand

Is this the current map? Or is there a newer one that I should get the dealer to update?
Thanks

Last edited:

piston68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hey newcar, got my VE serviced today and enquired about map updates. Our cars come with the latest updates. Really bad part is, when a new update is available, apparently once a year, it will be at a cost of $600. What a rip off. I have contacted Holden corporate about this and am awaiting a response.
The maps come from Whereis. Tom Tom and Garmin use this as well. Not sure about Navman. Now these guys offer free updates. Why does Holden need to hit us with a $600 fee?
I find the IQ great. Maps could certainly be better looking. Portable gps units look so much better than the overpriced IQ.
As far as just using the unit for phone/gps and not for radio/music. Just mute. I think if you turn the unit off it disconnects Bluetooth and most likely gps also.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Well it was confirmed by a CSR from Holden today that the maps will be updated every 12 - 18 months ( bit to long if you ask me ) and that it will be at a cost of $600.
Bit of info for you all. Ford ( and other car manufacturers ) has updates available via Whereis for $295.

http://www.whereismaps.com/buy-map-updates_built-in-car-navigation.aspx

Last edited:

newcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
majority of the other car companies allow you to update the map but not holden????
Maybe it's still possible update it ourselves. Anyone here know how? With all the holden cars out there, somebody must be able to do it

piston68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Well the way I understand it is, you book your car into a Holden dealer for a service. Let them know you're wanting the maps updated. They order a disc/flashdrive of the latest maps through Holden and install it. I don't know of any other way. I suggest people complain to Holden about this method and at the very least the outrageous price they are charging for them. As you can see from the link that I posted above, Holden is $300+ more than anyone else.
I'm not sure if the discs are coded to each individual car system. If they're not then it may be possible to use one disc for as many systems as you like. Problem is getting hold of a disc!
I hope Holden reduces the cost or someone finds a way to do this.
I want latest maps but in no way am I going to be paying $600 for them. Ridiculous!!!

Richo923

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2 UTE
Just a theory but after a while most of these GPS update disks find thier way onto the web, i recently found the one for my g/f's dads Merc on a shareware site, the merc dealer was wanting $500 for the map updates, then it was as simple as burning it to disc then inserting said disc into the cars cd player, ten mins later he had upto date maps for free, (well except the cost of the disc)
I didnt bother getting the gps on my series II, instead spent $350 on a garmin that comes with free map updates for life, has the suna traffic updates, which is free for the first year then i think its $100 a year, by my reckoning id have to have it a long time before it would cost me what the IQ GPS would have cost to get that installed, and its portable from car to car

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Has anyone noticed that some streets that have been around for many years don't display?
That's the only fault I have found so far. Pretty bad when you're trying to get somewhere but it tells you it doesn't exist!
Also, does anyone know how often updates will be and are they free?
Cheers.

Yes happens to me especially round canterbury area

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
What's the cost of the GPS upgrade? I didn't get it with my SV6 but am considering having it added.

Tonyla1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series ii SV6
Its my understanding that the GPS system is installed in the factory, and at this point can't be installed at a later date.

I'm very please with the way my GPS has been working. The car is only 4 weeks old and I seem to have the latest map. I do think however that the $600 map upgrade is outrageous.