Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 Exhaust

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The sweetest sound i ever heard from a car was from an otherwise stock 253 HQ premier with pacemakers, twin full length 2" exhaust with a balance pipe and reversed Lukey mufflers.

The 253 was a sweet motor, it was squarer than the 308 (bore v stroke) and loved to rev in comparison to the 308.

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
By the sounds of things i should stick with the dual 2".

But im still not happy with the sound, it does have the deep rumble of a V8 but then again.. over the top of that it sounds more like a tractor :/

Would extractors fix this?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
you need the balance pipe.. an exhaust pipe joining both sides of the exhaust together for crossflow a couple feet before the mufflers

extractors will help too, but 253s even sounded mint straight from the old cast iron manifolds with this setup .. that included Lukey mufflers which were a simple baffled tube muffler. If you reversed them it sounded better, though it probably impeded the gas flow too...

remember you asked what would sound good, not what would perform best though...

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 254

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Like this?

Yep like that. Lukey mufflers are the only other difference I guess. They were tubular maybe 4" diameter and about a foot long. They were baffled and supposed to go on in a particular direction but sounded cool as if you reversed them. They gave a 253 a real deep note, and as you hit maybe 4 grand on the tacho they use to snarl in the most erotic way...

Funny though, they didnt sound as nice on a 308..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
nah hotdogs tapered at the ends to join straight to the exhaust. They had no baffles. These were tubular mufflers, and had no taper, just the bit sticking out of the muffler for the exhaust to hook onto like normal.