Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough idle - what could it be.

VECom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
VE has 6x1=6

Each cylinder has a coil direct on top of the spark plug. Nice design but you can't get the coil off or change the spark plugs without taking the inlet manifold off first. I could test the coils if I had a factory spec to measure them to.

Fuel filter I would think would be noticeable under load not idle but I could be wrong.

O2 possibly. Are these in service on idle?

Craig I've been ignoring it for many months but I've finally conceeded to the fact that it's not going to fix itself so decided to make a bit more of an effort.

Greg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't actually understand what you're all talking about... But from the gist of what I've just read.. 2x3 = 6.

the two times three setup on the vn-vy v6's is a dfi direct fire ignition there are 3 coils that earth to them selfs so two sprak plugs fire at once it is also knowen as waste spark

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
Dirty air filter? If your fuel consumption is up that may point to air filter

xoom

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
hmm my car idles at 550ish when its warmed up.

its my first v8, thought they all idled low?

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
VE has 6x1=6

Each cylinder has a coil direct on top of the spark plug. Nice design but you can't get the coil off or change the spark plugs without taking the inlet manifold off first. I could test the coils if I had a factory spec to measure them to.

Fuel filter I would think would be noticeable under load not idle but I could be wrong.

Craig I've been ignoring it for many months but I've finally conceeded to the fact that it's not going to fix itself so decided to make a bit more of an effort.

Greg

Yea im in the same boat as you mate except the 2 mechanics ive been to have told me there unsure lol.
Mines alittle different but as its pretty jerky down around 2000rpm. It was weird at idle but has since corrected that and now i just have the jerkyness.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
VE has 6x1=6

Greg

yes o2 sensors work at idle

maby idle solinoid is getting old

but i think it is a spark problem knock sensor might be faulty

VECom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I didn't think they had an idle solenoid but a stepper motor, not sure about it though The idle is rock solid on 600rpm, car just shakes. I think could be coil but not sure how to go about testing them.

The problem with many mechanics these days they didn't learn old school diagnosis, they just plug the diagnostic gear in and if it doesn't see the fault and tell them what to replace then they have no idea. I don't want to take it to a workshop for them to waste hours on it and charge me for loads of parts they've put on it trying to find the problem.

I'll do a bit more stuffing around and head scratching on the weekend

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
I didn't think they had an idle solenoid but a stepper motor, not sure about it though The idle is rock solid on 600rpm, car just shakes. I think could be coil but not sure how to go about testing them.

The problem with many mechanics these days they didn't learn old school diagnosis, they just plug the diagnostic gear in and if it doesn't see the fault and tell them what to replace then they have no idea. I don't want to take it to a workshop for them to waste hours on it and charge me for loads of parts they've put on it trying to find the problem.

I'll do a bit more stuffing around and head scratching on the weekend

Yea for sure.
Let me no how you go man.