Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the estimated safe range of Klms on the odom?

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
When I bought my first car, a couple of things that were definite deal breakers were if the car was over 10 years old or over 140 000kms.

Now I'm looking for a VZ Commodore. I KNOW there are a lot of other factors that contribute how reliable the engine will be before needing things replaced or fixed.. but what's everyones opinion on a safe or good amount of klms to make sure a VY or VZ commodore has on it. (Like I said I know there are a lot of variables to take into account.. like how the car has been driven, regular services, how well it's been maintained, garaged etc EVEN LUCK..) But I myself would like to stick to around 100 000 kms or under give or take a few. say above 120 000 klms would be a deal breaker for me despite how good the car looked.
Anyone else ? I don't want to buy a $12 000 car, and then at first service, have to replace brakes, callipers, hoses, belts, alternators, harmonic balancers etc. I want something that's going to be reliable for at least a year (by reliable I mean doesn't BREAK DOWN, I know a car has to be maintained and have money spent on it to keep it in good nick.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Depends where its from, country cars get the easy life- no constant stopping, less stop and start driving, more Highway k's ect = less stress on the brakes, engine and trans, diff and some suspension components.

My VKs are from completely different environments, one was my grandmothers which lived on a country farm since new, the other was a Melbourne car that lived with a another Grandma since new.
The Melbourne one had 80 000ks but had far more worn brakes, seats and pedals ect, whereas my grandmas one had original pads and discs and looks to have never been sat in with 122, 000km.

Its all to do with the environment the car is in and how the owner treats it. IMO a country car with 150 000 km would be a better by then a city car with 120 000km generally speaking.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
id rather buy a car with a lot of km on it from highway driving than one that is stuck in traffic, or even one that is hardly driven. ie. a grandmas car that is only driven to the shops and back. not having the car run at optimal temp causes excessive wear, so be weary of that

Brenty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v8 ute
My 2002 vu ute has 297k and still runs great.

Cheers Brenton

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
I even SAID I know there's a lot of things to take into consideration and a lot of variables. And was trying to ask... without knowing the history of a car what do you think a good limit of Klms would be to stick under. So like i said I KNOW a car with a lot more k's could have been treated a lot better,.. but without knowing that what would any of you say you would try and keep the k's under when buying a second hand car you don't know much about. I think 100k's is about good

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Biggest issue on KMS for the VZ is oil changes. Miss 3 in a row and the engine oil will be sludge. 120k and very old oil = dead motor in no time.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
like you SAID, there are alot of variables! anything under 100k can be considered good aslong as you can get some info on the car! just the same as a car with double the k's could be good as long as you get as much info as you can. if its private try and judge the type of people that you are buying it from. if dealer try and find out the previous owners info (fleet, hire or private)

the amount of k's at the end of the day meen sweet FA. but if it means that much then when i was looking for my car last year i had a 125,000k limit. picked the calais up with 94,000.

DylanWillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
Picked up my SV6 VZ for $15,000 with 118,000km's and got a service done at 119,500 kms and found that the throttle body needed a service and the brakes. yet it all felt fine when i was driving it. my range was anything that had done around 20,000km - 25,000km a year on average. unless your a mechanic (im not) there will probs be something to do once you buy it ey