Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye everyone - goodbye forums - goodbye (crappy) holden

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The Commodores are a throwback to my younger days customizing Kingswoods. Call it a mid life crisis lol.. Once a petrol head, always a petrol head :) I still have a Chrysler Centura rotting in the shed out at the farm too that I just cant bear to send to the wreckers.

No logical reason for owning a Commodore, I am just a Holden enthusiast. Its in the blood.

Just to add to that.. I dont even check the oil and coolant on the 05 Kia, which is my daily. It only gets checked when it gets serviced once every 25,000. I only open the bonnet to fill the washer bottle or jumpstart one of the Commodores.. with its original battery.. :rofl2:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
Lol I am reading a bit of anti-imports into that comment.. not a big fan of Hyundais I think they are boring, and earlier models were pretty crappy. So were earlier Kias, but I think both companies now make excellent cars.. though the Hyundais are still boring.

Everyone downs Great Wall, but I dont know anyone who has actually bought one. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has, I suspect they arent as bad as their price would suggest. I think you will be seeing some fine cars coming from China in the future to be honest. Whatever you think of the cheaper stuff they send over here, if there is one thing the Chinese know how to do, it's how to manufacture things.

and imitation, bought a Chinese 7 inch GPS car pc unit for $200,it's the no disc type,only has usb and sd card slot,said to last longer without the DVD pickup head and motorised screen,it functions well,bluetooth automatically connect when I turn it on,GPS pick signals really quick,plays 800x600 movie,had it for over a year,still goes,good unit if you only want to spend $200 or so,
huge market in China,there are poor quality stuff coz some people only need stuff that last a short period of time for cheap,and there ARE fine quality things,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
Yeah the Koreans dont seem to be much into making performance cars yet, though to be fair in stock form the cars they do make perform very well in their class. I'd buy a F/I AWD Cerato the day they brought one out, even the stock 6spd and 2L in my hatch is a bucket of fun on the twisty bits...
I meant there are turbo charged version of both in the states already,but not in Australia,not sure why.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hyundai own Kia by the way, they share drivetrains... if one gets it then most likely so will the other... maybe US has it and we dont because it isnt feasible to make it in lower numbers to suit ADRs.. I hope that changes..

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
I meant there are turbo charged version of both in the states already,but not in Australia,not sure why.

Car companies always have to weigh up what is in the market already and what their costs would be to supply different variants, they probably saw the golf turbo or something similar and decided to not compete.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Hyundai own Kia by the way, they share drivetrains...

For some reason I pictured 2 people in a car...carpooling to work named Hyundai and Kia when you wrote that lol.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Maybe you took a higher dose than usual? :rofl2:

Nah I'd need a turbo for that *vvvvvvvvrrrooooooommm SUTUTUTUTUUuuu*

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm one who doesn't subscribe to the "Holden is crap and getting worse" school. Like all manufacturers, Holden is building cars that are increasingly complex, particularly in the electronic area. The myth that Holdens do it worse than others needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Let's talk Toyota for a moment. Toyota - the hallmark of reliability. Not.

Some Toyotas have chronic faults which the factory refuses to acknowledge. Certain diesel engined Hi-Luxes have a fault with a seal on the injectors, which can lead to excessive carbon sludge ending up in the oil and blocking the oil pick-up. Result? Oil starvation and rooted engine. Biiiiig dollars to fix, probably at the owner's expense. And this is not an old model, it's a recent one. Four and five year old Prado dashboards split due to exposure to the sun. You have to fight Toyota to acknowledge the item was not sufficiently robust in the first place to withstand our summer temperatures.

Nissan Patrol 3 litre diesels blow holes in No. 5 piston. Lovely.

These are just a few examples, but the fact is that Holdens are no better and no worse than many cars today. Even Mercedes have major faults so it isn't just the cheaper cars that aren't perfect.

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
I would never buy a car that's ex-anything. there's a reason cops get rid of their cars after a short time. Hyandais are fine for going to the shops but can you imagine if cops of taxi drivers used them, theyd be ####ed.
Ive heard of far more BMWs "break down" than holdens or fords.