Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Tafe

Atomic G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
Have you considered about finishing you HSC or Equivalent in one year? As long as you can learn on your own you should be fine. I finished my HSC last year at TAFE and finished with an ATAR of 98.55. I got into medicine at Sydney. After setting up my room(1 week before the start of Autumn semester) I decided I wasn't sure if I could see myself doing this in ten years time, I deferred and have been working at my parents business for the past year. I am thinking about doing Mechanical engineering(including my practical diploma) at UTS next year. What I see myself doing in the future really has little to do with what(if I do end up going) I will be studying at university, it's my backup.

My only advice for you is that don't do nothing, if you're still not sure, pick a course at TAFE(that will be universally recognised by potential employers, ect). Or get a job and come back to it in a year or so, life experience is one of the most important things never forget that, as is common sense.

It always helps if you can do something you love, but if you can't do that, do something that allows you to do the things you love (i.e do something that will allow you to financially support your passions)! ;)

NaY 2.0

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
^ Finish HSC in my opinion

As in this day and age it is getting harder and harder to get a job without a HSC wether you get an ATAR or not....

It doesn't matter if you do non atar subjects but you will still get your HSC ( Which will help greatly with employment )

I am aiming for high 90's in my HSC ( Starting in 2 weeks ) but even if i get my desired mark and get into the course at Sydney Uni i am going to take a year off travel a bit and get a full time job, Although i have had jobs since i was 12 currently holding 3 jobs. I would personally like to get out into the workplace / workforce and get a handle on it all before entering a 4 year Economics course. ( Even if its 1 year full time Of Becoming a manager of mcdonalds.

( If your contemplating Going into a business related course ) mcdonalds can be good if you dont like school as if you become a manager at macca's you actually get a business degree and can go into uni from that degree obtained through mcdonalds. ( Im not personally aiming for this but ye )

Also That 1 year all dat $$$$ and no outgoings = MODS :)

But seriously consider staying at school and getting a HSC ( Not an atar just the HSC ) or even so Get the HSC at tafe

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
I was in the same boat as you when I was 16, what I did was I went to a few different places for work experience to see what I liked doing. I ended up choosing to be an auto electrician and I love it, but its not for everyone

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

MontyVE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 MY12 SV6
mate have you considered being a sparky? finish your course n go work your arse off in the mines...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
TAFE tester courses normally go for a week. will put you through most trades. then go from there.

and to above, it certainly aint that simple. Plus if your good you dont need the mines to make money. Trust me, i know from experience =P

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
you have a passion for cars but you dont want to work on them .... be a chippie...

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Have you considered anything outside of the trades?

TAFE has plenty of Business, Information Technology, and Government qualifications. I did a Cert III, IV and Diploma in I.T. in 18 months a TAFE. Walked me straight into a job doing IT support in one of the largest high schools in NSW. I look after 1400 laptop devices and associated network hardware.