Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mechanics worth $80+/hr?

5ltrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
How much do you pay an Electrician?
How much do you pay a Plumber?
How much do you pay a Doctor?
How much do you pay a Builder?
How much do you pay an Accountant?

Add up their hourly rate and you wont be bitching.

Just because any retard can pick up a set of spanners in their backyard doesnt mean when a legitimate tradesman tries to charge a decent amount for his services they're trying ripping you off.

Sick of people bitching about being "ripped off" because their mate Bazza can spin a few wrenches and would do the same job for a slab.

Fair enough guys, I wasn't having a bash, I just thought it sounded steep but with your arguments I take that back. Didn't think to factor in just the dollars to run the actual shop and employees and such. All I've really heard about the mechanic trade is that they get **** pay unless they own the business. Sucks for them, but a good, trustworthy mechanic is gold.

BTW, my mate bazza did say he would do it for a slab lol. Love those bushman mechanics *sarcasm*

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Everyone wants everything for free or next to nothing. People have to make a living too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
considering how useless most mechanics are I don't understand how they can charge so much.

It's a user loses system if you ask me.

I've personally only ever used one competent mechanic in my life and considering what the b*stards charge it's really not fair.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
considering how useless most mechanics are I don't understand how they can charge so much.

I've personally only ever used one competent mechanic in my life and considering what the b*stards charge it's really not fair.

Their prob useless cause everyone looks for the cheapest one. There are some very good knowledgable mechanics out there.

Think of their over heads...that's why the charge.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

That's nice dear.

Maybe you should call ACA or TT and tell them how it's "really not fair" that tradespeople want to make a living.

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
My first dealership charged $82.50/hr
Second $121/hr (BMW was $143.50)
Current one $88 I believe.

Problem dealerships have is the equipment required by the franchises try hold, we just get sent it in the mail followed by a bill.
For example, a Nissan consult III laptop in cabinet is in excess of $14,000. And we have 4 franchises which means 4 dedicated laptops in the workshop...
Of course dealerships have to charge more than joe blow down the road, who have a $7,000 snap on scan tool which reads most makes and models.
Other problem we now have is turn over. The mines scoop up mechanics left right and centre, so workshops have slowly started to increase pay rates (still under $30/hr in country NSW).
Add on insurance, training, office staff, stuff ups, etc, and it doesn't take much to see a workshop is not an overly profitable business depending on the circumstances.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
we charge $88 an hour, which is about the average for a small shop. Although it should be mentioned that we realistically only ever charge out 2/3 of the actual time we spend on a car. (eg work for 3 hours, charge out 2). Also that $88 barely covers our overheads, but if we increased it, people wouldnt come to us, going to the next guy. Ive got mates in dealerships that range from 150 - 230 per hour. I would say anywhere around the $100 per hour is average. Then it depends on how long they quote too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
That's nice dear.

Maybe you should call ACA or TT and tell them how it's "really not fair" that tradespeople want to make a living.

when they are competent dear I'm happy to pay the big bucks but so many of them break stuff, don't actually know what the issue is so they play swapsies (just give us a blank chequebook to play with eh?) until they find it etc, etc. It's not what they charge that bothers me, it's that they haven't got a clue - and clueless ones are the majority not the minority.

Tradespeople who don't know what the #### they are doing - DO NOT deserve to make a living breaking and mis-diagnosing ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I have to agree with mpower, so often I have seen mechanics, especially at dealers, with no idea where to start. That and their bosses telling them to just swap something out with a second hand part from the wreck at the back, this I have literally seen for myself.

I got onto a good mechanic about 15 years ago now. His bills were unbelievably low and often he would take the time to fix little things that weren't brought to his attention, but he fixed them anyway and the bill was still way under what was expected just for the primary job it went in for.

He is still my mechanic, but now also a good mate who I recommend to everybody, not that he needs the work, poor bugger has such a good rep that he is constantly snowed under with work. Nobody asks for a quote, you just ask for it to be fixed, as you know 100% before you start he will not rip you off and he will be way cheaper than anybody else.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
when they are competent dear I'm happy to pay the big bucks but so many of them break stuff, don't actually know what the issue is so they play swapsies (just give us a blank chequebook to play with eh?) until they find it etc, etc. It's not what they charge that bothers me, it's that they haven't got a clue - and clueless ones are the majority not the minority.

Tradespeople who don't know what the #### they are doing - DO NOT deserve to make a living breaking and mis-diagnosing ****.

"So many of them"? Whatever. Get over your grudge because you couldnt fix your own car and felt emasculated.

Last edited by a moderator: