Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Council road works car damage

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hi all

Was driving home and the road had some new tar layed down. Firstly i couldn't get off the road, is divided and is between 2 sets of lights, no way out.

There was fresh hot and loose tar all over the road. All i could hear was it flicking up, i slowed down to about 20 yet there were others still driving by at 80 !!

Got home to find several prices stuck to my new rims about the size of 20cent pieces, and lots of fine bits all over the body. No actual damage inflicted, but it's going to be quite a bit of work to get it sorted.

Question is, should i hit up main roads / council to pay for the product? I'll put the time in, clay, bonder, sealant ect, take the wheels off and everything, or suggest it go to a detailers and they foot they bill?

Someone said i won't get anywhere with it, but surely i shouldn't lose time, and most importantly a lot of money, due to someone else's incompetence. The road should never have been re-opened until it was properly set. There was also no signs, or notice about the work that has just been conducted. Bottom line is it will cost me more than what i made at work that day, times are tough enough as it is, i feel i shouldn't have to suffer when the situation would have been avoided had they have just done their job properly in the first place.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Qld Roads are bloody hopeless.

I'd go for it.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hi all

Was driving home and the road had some new tar layed down. Firstly i couldn't get off the road, is divided and is between 2 sets of lights, no way out.

There was fresh hot and loose tar all over the road. All i could hear was it flicking up, i slowed down to about 20 yet there were others still driving by at 80 !!

Got home to find several prices stuck to my new rims about the size of 20cent pieces, and lots of fine bits all over the body. No actual damage inflicted, but it's going to be quite a bit of work to get it sorted.

Question is, should i hit up main roads / council to pay for the product? I'll put the time in, clay, bonder, sealant ect, take the wheels off and everything, or suggest it go to a detailers and they foot they bill?

Someone said i won't get anywhere with it, but surely i shouldn't lose time, and most importantly a lot of money, due to someone else's incompetence. The road should never have been re-opened until it was properly set. There was also no signs, or notice about the work that has just been conducted. Bottom line is it will cost me more than what i made at work that day, times are tough enough as it is, i feel i shouldn't have to suffer when the situation would have been avoided had they have just done their job properly in the first place.
Someone was right , you could try hitting them up, but I doubt you will have any success , it would not be worth the trouble , is a tin of tar remover really worth the bother ??, If you really want to vent your spleen , write a letter to the Council roading department , and a letter to your local paper telling them of the issue , or ring them up and give them a " Damned good talking to " , anyway man best of luck , that sort of thing pisses me off too .

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I'd say they won't pay unless there's damage, main roads wouldn't even replace my tyre after it busted from a pothole on a highway.

good luck with the claim

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
They will get your letter and someone will say "tell him he is dreaming." You will get a generic response saying they are sorry but no they will not pay you any damages and then they will show your letter to everyone at morning tea and have a good laugh at your expense for thinking you could extract money from the Council.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Fact of matter is you probably drove through a signed roadworks site..
Provided the bitumen had been sprayed, aggregate spread and proof rolled and loose stone road work signs.. The government has no obligation to pay for nothing.,

Edit: having worked in government Clair is bang on..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yes but there was no signage, and the road was not set. I understand why is being said though, and i probably won't get anywhere.

With regards to a tin of tar remover, yeah sure i can go over the whole car with some thinners, i've then have to wax and seal the car again too, it's not as simple as just getting rid of the tar.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Might be worth a try.
Guess it depends on how persistent you are with letter writing cause I would imagine it will take a while to get a response from them.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
No signage?

What about operating machinery?

If there was machinery operating on site and no signage you've got a leg to stand on..

However you say they shouldn't open the road until its set properly.. Bitumen can take 3-4 days to actually set because of residual heat in the road.. So how do you think people would react if every road that was resurfaced got closed until it 'set' properly.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Few years ago now the council near my place opened up a patch of road that was being worked on when a decent sized hole in the road had just been filled with sand. It started pouring down with rain and my dad drove through the hole, BANG 2 brand new 20" tyres blown out and the rims buckled. Went back and took photos of the hole, took photos of the damage to the rims, and took it to the council. After everyone had told my dad he would have no luck in 2 weeks time the council payed for 2 brand new 20's.

You dont know unless you try.