Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is this thing in the boot?

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
I cleaned my boot today and when I took the jack out I saw this sitting in the side of the boot. Anyone know what this is?

Also there was a plug hiding there that was not connected to anything and I'd like to know what it is.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378457675613.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378457675613.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 363

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
That is a vent type thing, when you slam a door or boot lid, these flaps will open and close quickly so that pressure does not build up in the cabin.

as for the plug; pic please.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It's a one way air vent. It allows air to escape, when closing doors for example.
Edit: Beat me by a minute Duece.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The plug you speak of could be for a sub woofer amplifier. I don't know if Berlinas have sub woofers but if they don't it is possible that they use the same loom as a Calais which does have sub woofers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As stated it's a 1 way vent to let air escape from the cabin (also as stated)
A bit more on it's location and why it's 1 way....
As the car travels along the air is drawn past the rear quarter creating a vacuum and removing any unwanted fumes and not letting them re-enter the cabin space.
If (like most cars) the boot seal isn't a 100% seal (which is actually a low pressure zone of the car traveling along) then the fumes from your exhaust can easily enter the cabin, this is bad if they have no way of escaping, so they get sucked out quicker than they can actually fill the cabin and overcome the occupants with noxious gasses.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I came across commodore that had mud or whatever holding the flap in this vent open slightly, this caused the vehicle boot and all the interior to become absolutely smothered in fine dust. Obviously this car had spent most of its life on dirt roads, but once it jammed open slightly , a shitload of dust was sucked in through it.