Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
So, election result is no suprise.

What is a surprise to me, is how viciously anti Abbott people are lashing out this morning. Given that most are Labor or Greens supporters, who claim to be highly intelligent and forward thinking, I am shocked.

Then Labor was brought in 6 years ago, all I read was positive comments about how good it will be and all the amazing things that will be able to happen now that the evil and incompetent Howard was gone.

Since then, we've had 6 years of disasters and broken promises so logically, it was time for change. But the vile I am reading this morning is a concern.

Personal attacks on Abbott, friends viciously attacking other apparent friends for making pro Liberal comments. Last night there was a facebook page up declaring Abbott as the worst PM in history.

I thought all the left was about giving people a chance and not being forward thinking.

As one of the "redneck bogans" who did vote Liberal. I am shocked at how the "educated and progressive" crowd is being represented at the moment.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I got called a racist redneck homophobic c&*& on FB earlier. Funnily enough I was listening to Pet shop boys at the time having just finished listening to Aloe Blaccs album lol..

They are lunatics...I know when we lost in 07 I didnt go nuts telling people they were going to die etc. It is insane...

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
So, election result is no suprise.

What is a surprise to me, is how viciously anti Abbott people are lashing out this morning. Given that most are Labor or Greens supporters, who claim to be highly intelligent and forward thinking, I am shocked.

Then Labor was brought in 6 years ago, all I read was positive comments about how good it will be and all the amazing things that will be able to happen now that the evil and incompetent Howard was gone.

Since then, we've had 6 years of disasters and broken promises so logically, it was time for change. But the vile I am reading this morning is a concern.

Personal attacks on Abbott, friends viciously attacking other apparent friends for making pro Liberal comments. Last night there was a facebook page up declaring Abbott as the worst PM in history.

I thought all the left was about giving people a chance and not being forward thinking.

As one of the "redneck bogans" who did vote Liberal. I am shocked at how the "educated and progressive" crowd is being represented at the moment.

I think it is evident of how much the Left absolutely despises Abbott. If it were Turnbull mood would be completely different. I have been negative this morning, but its more from a perspective of being sad/disappointed.

As for Redneck Bogan - OMG not everything said on this thread is entirely about you! Youare actually one of the more coherent righties going.....

I also refer to the Right's panning of the Carbon Tax and Hung parliament, and the absolute shitstorm that ensued. So don't you dare take the moral highground on this one.....just because one is intelligent and forward thinking (as you suggest?) doesn't mean you can't get angry as well......

If the Right can have a 'Julia Gillard worst PM in history' page, what is stopping one about Abbott?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I wasn't refering to your post n here. The comments in this thread are tame compared to what I have witnesed on FB in the last 12 hours.

And yeah, there was a lot of heated debate and slander thrown around at the Carbon Tax. Bit this morning is people launching personal attacks on others who have identified themselves as Liberal supporters outside of the realm of a debate.

Its to the point that even my wife, who could not care less about political debate and commentary posted on this subject this morning.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
If the Right can have a 'Julia Gillard worst PM in history' page, what is stopping one about Abbott?

Difference is one was genuinely incompetent and showed that over the course of 2 years.

The other hasnt even been sworn in yet.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I wonder how long before we start to see industry in Australia improve from the election.
if I remember right Reaper was saying along the lines of due to uncertainty people have stopped spending, and businesses don't want to spend until they know what the future holds.

im also surprised Minux didn't take the Bait about loosing my job before Reap :spot on:
for the record I was having a bit of a joke about it.
but still will be interesting what will happen when the next round of EBA's come around especially if some of the ideas that have been put out there do eventuate. (no im not talking about individual contracts, and yes workers as a group can get even better deals without union brutality, as the old man was telling me with his work)

also this is going to go down to the wire:
Close race in McEwen - Weekly Times Now
73 votes currently separating them :eek:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Actually, I have always noticed that Labor Greens supporters always get incredibly angry and personal about Australian politics, while turning an unbelievably oblivious blind eye to the failings of particular Labor politicians.

Of course, this is a generalisation, but then if that's the impression that I'm left with (and this is from encountering people who don't know what my political standing is), then it seems to be the predominant characteristic. There are bound to be, of course, well-educated and purely opinionated Labor supporters, however the majority I have had to encounter have been irrational and childish. A lot of the time the people I speak to don't even know who leads what party, they just go "Which one's Labor? I'm voting for them."

And as for the Greens... Well, I'm just an ignorant redneck. There's no possible way that I could have any sort of valid opinion in opposition to anything a latte-sipper city-dwelling Greens voter might be able to articulate in-between tokes :p

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I wonder how long before we start to see industry in Australia improve from the election.
if I remember right Reaper was saying along the lines of due to uncertainty people have stopped spending, and businesses don't want to spend until they know what the future holds.

im also surprised Minux didn't take the Bait about loosing my job before Reap :spot on:
for the record I was having a bit of a joke about it.
but still will be interesting what will happen when the next round of EBA's come around especially if some of the ideas that have been put out there do eventuate. (no im not talking about individual contracts, and yes workers as a group can get even better deals without union brutality, as the old man was telling me with his work)

also this is going to go down to the wire:
Close race in McEwen - Weekly Times Now
73 votes currently separating them :eek:

Well given that for the previous 2 weeks it looked like ALP was gone, did it pick up then? remains to be seen. Lower house has been confirmed, upper house has yet to be decided, a week or so perhaps before senate is confirmed. Even then it looks like LIbs have just missed out on complete power, will have to negotiate with about 3-4 other parties to get things through the senate, which will slow things up a bit.

"Actually, I have always noticed that Labor Greens supporters always get incredibly angry and personal about Australian politics, while turning an unbelievably oblivious blind eye to the failings of particular Labor politicians."

Seriously you are not telling me the other side doesn't do it too? I have been at the receiving end of taunts and name-calling, here and in the real world, simply due to my leftist beliefs. There are a long list of dodgy things conservative politicians have done that conservative voters also seem to ignore. Both sides do it. Its what happens when you have blind allegience to any entity. Lib/Nationals supporters can be just as rusted on. I will emphasise, Nationals especially. As for personal/abusive - I have seen plenty of personal attacks based on political views from those on the right via forum users here and in the outside world, on face book and other forums; today I noticed there was a crap load of gloating from a minority. But if you are one of the gloaters, and are unaware of people's reactions suppose you wouldn't notice it. Its all down to treating others how you would like to be treated, and the principle of giving as good as you get.

"And as for the Greens... Well, I'm just an ignorant redneck. There's no possible way that I could have any sort of valid opinion in opposition to anything a latte-sipper city-dwelling Greens voter might be able to articulate in-between tokes :p"

Opposing opinion is fine as long as it is grounded within facts (presented in their full context - i.e. no cherry-picking), and free from any prejudice (not saying you specifically have done this DP, but as a general comment. Any concept grounded in racism, homophobia or sexism as an example is not worth even debating).

Last edited:

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
I'm puzzled how the greens are happy with their result and actually said they've gained % votes. When I look at the numbers in most seats, they have lost the same % votes in which they gained in the 2010 election. So if my maths is correct they have gone backwards...