Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L40E Shift problems

alex09102

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6 Commodore
Hey guys, I've got a VZ SV6 commodore sedan with the 5L40E auto gearbox installed, everything was running perfectly up until about 2 months ago where i noticed the gearbox started to 'clunk' while trying to change from 5th to 4th while doing around 80km/h and using medium throttle, it continues to 'clunk' until giving it heavy throttle which seems to force it to change down gears, it doesn't do this while using the active select to manually change gears and works flawlessly, have been doing some reading about it and think it could possibly be the shift solenoids. Has anyone else encountered this problem or knows anyone that has?. Any info would be muchly appreciated. - Cheers

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Mate go to Bursons and get a tube of Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx and try it first. My local transmission guys tell me that they use it and find it the only thing that actually works. It probably is a solenoid, but if this works it is a cheap fix! Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx