Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
liberal supporters have made him out to be the second coming of jesus (he's no better than rudd and gillard where, just more of a religious nutcase and bigoted) and anybody with half a brain knows they only won the election on the back of the boat people issue.

Well folks, we have finally found one of those crusaders who believe Abbott is a religious nutcase and bigoted. We knew there had to be some of them out there somewhere and this bloke pops his head up to give us all a free kick.

Seriously sport, your arguments wouldn't hold water in any debate. You've made a couple of idiotic statements and continue to reinforcement your lack of comprehension with further posts. OK, so you support the ALP and they lost. Live with it - we had to tolerate your mob for six years, now it's our turn.

And any political commentator worth his salt will tell you that oppositions don't win elections - governments lose them. The boat people issue is an immensely unpopular one across the nation and even if it was the only reason the ALP lost, it is a biggie.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
oh I see, so not telling the public about the boats that have arrived since he promised to stop the boats is his solution (one yesterday and a few last week) makes sense. what else do they plan on hiding from us?

he did say he would stop the boats but they are still arriving? as a member of the public, I take his word as such he said he will stop the boats, why have they not stopped? liberal supporters have made him out to be the second coming of jesus (he's no better than rudd and gillard where, just more of a religious nutcase and bigoted) and anybody with half a brain knows they only won the election on the back of the boat people issue.

You seem to be as stupid as the other fool.

Lets look at what was actually said by Immigration Ministher Morrison: "The information is not being suppressed," he said. "Those suggestions are an overreaction. But the bottom line is for the people smugglers there has been a change in management." "We will be letting people know how many boats have arrived and how many people are on them and we will be doing that on a regular basis ... through these regular briefings which both General Campbell and I will front.''

It's pretty unequivocal - arrivals will be disclosed just not on a case by case basis as has been done previously. Further as mentioned above, near every media outlet would have contacts at all of the entry points and I'm tipping, even before hand they knew boats had arrived before the official announcement. I can't see that changing at all.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
oh I see, so not telling the public about the boats that have arrived since he promised to stop the boats is his solution (one yesterday and a few last week) makes sense. what else do they plan on hiding from us?

he did say he would stop the boats but they are still arriving? as a member of the public, I take his word as such he said he will stop the boats, why have they not stopped? liberal supporters have made him out to be the second coming of jesus (he's no better than rudd and gillard where, just more of a religious nutcase and bigoted) and anybody with half a brain knows they only won the election on the back of the boat people issue.

Are you being deliberately daft or are you actually that stupid?

And I agree, anyone with half a brain knows that they won the election based on the back of the boat issue. Apparently this is a category you belong in.

For the rest of us with a whole and fully functional brain, we all know they won the election on the back of Labor being so impossibly incompetent.

On the plus side, Abbott has gone in and is on the front foot with delivering promises. NBN Co is effectively all sacked, the government has been purging all the bullshit roles that magically appeared under Labor and consolidating portfolio's. And he is also on the front foot with the boat issue. New lead man appointed to oversea, the operation is no longer a political play thing but rather a military security operation, based on what Angus Campbell is saying they already know what is needed and how they are going to achieve this. The processing center Labor had planned in NSW is canned and that money is going into the offshore solution.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
44768_562602357127260_685090532_n.png

How did Shorten(gopher) and Albanese(iChris) get on these forums?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
These are the boats that wind up at Xmas Is. because it's too dangerous to turn them back - yes they will be reported, that is very clear.

However.....what of the media coverage of boats turned round at sea where it's safe to do so (I understand a Lib policy was to do this)?

Suppose Operation Sovereign Borders begins tomorrow wednesday (or was it last Wednesday) how will it be determined to be a success/failure? The catchy 3 word slogan/promise of 'stop the boats' is vague in itself. Is it 'stop the boats leaving/arriving here/arriving at xmas island/ sinking?' How many boats would it take to arrive before it is deemed to be a success/failure?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
These are the boats that wind up at Xmas Is. because it's too dangerous to turn them back - yes they will be reported, that is very clear.

However.....what of the media coverage of boats turned round at sea where it's safe to do so (I understand a Lib policy was to do this)?

Suppose Operation Sovereign Borders begins tomorrow wednesday (or was it last Wednesday) how will it be determined to be a success/failure? The catchy 3 word slogan/promise of 'stop the boats' is vague in itself. Is it 'stop the boats leaving/arriving here/arriving at xmas island/ sinking?' How many boats would it take to arrive before it is deemed to be a success/failure?

I presume that will be up to the electorate to judge. If you ask the LNP in 3 years time I presume a small decline in numbers would qualify as a success and if you ask the ALP any number greater than 1 will be an epic failure. Overall it will be for the voter to decide.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Surely the point here isn't how many boats are stopped/turned back, but that the flow of boats ceases? The government has said all along that stopping the boats meant just that - stopping them altogether by whatever means it could, preferably from leaving Indonesian ports at all. That's the ideal situation but realists know that the money and level of desperation involved in this "people trade" is too great for the flow to stop altogether. Even under the Pacific Solution, small numbers of boats still arrived.

This government will be harsher that Labor because it wants its policies to be effective deterrents to reduce the numbers of boats to a negligible level. Those fools (eg Sarah Hanson-Young) who maintain that Labor and the Coalition were involved in a race to the bottom in their policies are living in a delusional world, because the policies of both parties were only ever intended to be harsh deterrents for those who considered using people smugglers to travel to Australia. If you didn't use people smugglers, you won't go to PNG. How that is a "race to the bottom" is beyond me.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Just to emphasise a point to our dear iChris, when you stop your car at 100km/h, does it come to a complete stop the moment you touch the pedal? I rest my case. I mean, sure, if you run into a cliff face you'll come to a sudden stop, but all that kinetic energy still has to go somewhere, and this would probably be a good metaphor of actually attacking the boats and sinking them, rather than stopping them in the first place.

If you can't comprehend the complexities of diplomacy bundled with trying to coordinate the efforts of various different parties (including a resistant Indonesian ministry), then please, spend more time listening and reading and less time trying to pretend you have something intelligent to say (here's a hint: Most people don't have anything intelligent to say and that often includes me).

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
It appears that a boat load of people made it to Darwin last night.