Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Carborundum isn't Latin so both are incorrect. What does it matter? We know what you mean. It would only matter if someone argued it was Latin in the first palce. Pretty sure bastardo isn't Latin either.

Yeah, I realise that my motto is a bastardisation of something or another, but it gets the message across without being offensive. I knew it wasn't Latin - in fact, I'm stuffed if it's anything. I just liked it because it was short and sweet, and nobody else was using it on this forum.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Yeah, I realise that my motto is a bastardisation of something or another, but it gets the message across without being offensive. I knew it wasn't Latin - in fact, I'm stuffed if it's anything. I just liked it because it was short and sweet, and nobody else was using it on this forum.

You could be to the point in English and people wouldn't have to guess or google;) We know what it means but trying to make it sound Latin is both trying to make it sound important at the same time as making it sound profound and in reality it's just kinda cute. Not paying out in any great way, we all use similar things, ideas, sayings..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You could be to the point in English and people wouldn't have to guess or google;) We know what it means but trying to make it sound Latin is both trying to make it sound important at the same time as making it sound profound and in reality it's just kinda cute. Not paying out in any great way, we all use similar things, ideas, sayings..

Well, I don't know if you hadn't heard of it or seen it prior to me posting it, but I sure didn't invent it. It was spoken to me many years ago when I was in the Army Reserve and a much older and more experienced officer used the term when we were being put through our paces by a couple of real bastards. He said to me "Nil Bastardo Carborundum" and when I looked at him with a dim expression, he explained it. I decided to pick it up as it seemed appropriate as my motto. Let me assure you that there is absolutely no intention of sounding cute or clever or important - I'm not interested in self aggrandisement, unlike some others on the forum.

Now, as this is the Political thread, is discussion of my motto really relevant? Can we return to discussing the issues that really matter?

Last edited:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Well, I don't know if you hadn't heard of it or seen it prior to me posting it, but I sure didn't invent it. It was spoken to me many years ago when I was in the Army Reserve and a much older and more experienced officer used the term when we were being put through our paces by a couple of real bastards. He said to me "Nil Bastardo Carborundum" and when I looked at him with a dim expression, he explained it. I decided to pick it up as it seemed appropriate as my motto. Let me assure you that there is absolutely no intention of sounding cute or clever or important - I'm not interested in self aggrandisement, unlike some others on the forum.

Now, as this is the Political thread, is discussion of my motto really relevant? Can we return to discussing the issues that really matter?

I wasn't implying you were. OK. Back to politics? What happened to the budget emergency? Haven't heard about that for a while. Maybe there wasn't one, just as the economists were saying.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
The massive Liberal waste clean out suggests otherwise?

Cutting waste has been the top priority based on what I read, which suggests finance and the budget is a priority.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The massive Liberal waste clean out suggests otherwise?

Cutting waste has been the top priority based on what I read, which suggests finance and the budget is a priority.

By some of the stupidity posted here by parts of the left, the boats should have stopped and I assume they expect that we probably should be in surplus with most of the debt being paid off by now. :thumbsup: Abbott has been in office for near 10 days now after all.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I wasn't implying you were. OK. Back to politics? What happened to the budget emergency? Haven't heard about that for a while. Maybe there wasn't one, just as the economists were saying.

The definition of "budget emergency" depends very much on which side of the political fence you come from.

Labor was apparently quite happy to keep racking up debt, justifying it on the basis that they had achieved a Triple A rating and our total debt was comparatively low against our major trading partners. They had increased our debt limit a number of times to accommodate our increasing debt and we were already approaching their latest limit ($300M) without any real sign of the debt abating , unemployment was on the rise again, our interest rates had fallen to a level previously declared by Swann to be "emergency levels" (or somesuch, I can't recall his exact definition but you get the point), but they were now crowing that the low rates were a legacy of good financial management. The Reserve Bank, on the other hand, indicated that the low rate was intended to stimulate a stagnant economy which was also a legacy of their financial management and had said that the rate of Government borrowing was becoming a major concern. Economists made the point that, not long ago, some of our major trading partners were in a similar position to where we are now and they were deeply in trouble with massive debt. Comparisons between our economy with 22 million odd people and the USA with over 300 million might look good on paper but there is no comparison in the size of the two economies so using the US, Germany, Italy, Spain etc really didn't hold much water. Nonetheless, Labor kept using them as comparators.

The Conservative side of politics doesn't like or agree with growing debt, particularly when it reaches the level it has in such a short time. The GFC has been and for the most part, gone and economies are gradually recovering, though some remain chronic. Using the GFC as the reason for so much spending became trite and the public knew it. The rate at which the debt was growing, Labor's "she'll be right" attitude and their apparent indifference to the real reasons behind falling interest rates, growing unemployment, costs of living and a number of political failures such as asylum seekers, which were doing their bit to blow out economic forecasts as well, caused more concern on the conservative side of politics than on Labor's. The definition "budgetary emergency" might seem like extremism, but from our side, that's what it was. The Coalition is now undertaking measures to rein in the budget, cut waste as Jester states, abolish multiple bullshit departments and agencies and re-focus the budget on the infrastructure and programs that they believe are vital to the country.

They mightn't be using the term "budgetary emergency" now, but it's still a very real issue to conservatives.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ok then.
the boats are still coming and some are even reaching the mainland
unless that was the plan then it really is not going to plan is it?

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Forty four Pakistani asylum-seekers, including four children, and two crew were brought to Indah Kiat port at Banten in Java at about 8am today, according to Indonesian police and rescue officers.

You were saying?

Oh and just for shits and giggles...
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...o-indonesia-20130927-2uimi.html#ixzz2g4rD2vwx

An Australian navy vessel penetrated Indonesia's sovereign waters early on Friday morning and returned 44 asylum seekers to Indonesia, but search and rescue agencies insist it was not the first turn-back under the Abbott government.

The Indonesian search and rescue agency Basarnas has confirmed that would-be refugees aboard a wooden fishing boat made a distress call to the Australian authorities on Thursday evening, saying their boat was leaking.

11 days in and policies already under way. The difference between doing and seeming to do I guess...

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
except it was done under a protocol setup by the previous government

Under a protocol established between Australia and Indonesia last year, under then transport minister Anthony Albanese, the HMAS Ballarat was given quick permission to come into Indonesian waters to make the rescue.

the boat made the distress call inside Indonesian waters. what would have happened if it was 40ks from Christmas island? where would they have been taken?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car