Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Fitness Thread

str8vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Err. Not really.

All the top bodybuilders in 'untested' competitions (meaning they are on any form of combination of growth hormones, anabolic steroids etc) still have to commit their mind and their body 110% to achieve what they do.
Steroids doesn't make it 'easier'. You don't just pick up a bar that was enormously heavy before you took roids and suddenly it's light as anything and you train the same and you whack on size.

The same concepts apply whether you take enhancers like steroids or not. You still have to train properly, high weight, low reps for hypertrophy, eat properly.

Enhancers allow your recovery time to be shortened, growth hormones increase the mass you put on with effort, reducing the time it takes to build the size.

Steroids or not. To acheive a bodybuilder spec or acheive anything in fitness/sports, you still HAVE to train your ass off and give it your all to succeed.

What would you recommend for someone who just casually is getting into weights/trying to lose a gut..
Basically I want to bulk up a bit, put on a bit of size, definition isn't a priority or interest.
High weight, lower reps obviously?
What about all those protein powders for shake things like Vital Strength etc?
Would you recommend those? Or would you just recommend doing weights and eating(or trying in my case) to eat properly?

Tuesday was the last day I touched fast food junk, and don't plan on touching it again any time soon.

Just looking for some tips to help build some muscle mass, not really going to get into it too seriously as in body building and what not.
I've got standard weight plates and 7ft bar...anyone know whats the actual weight of the bar? I'm guessing between 5-10kg..?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
What would you recommend for someone who just casually is getting into weights/trying to lose a gut..
Basically I want to bulk up a bit, put on a bit of size, definition isn't a priority or interest.
High weight, lower reps obviously?
What about all those protein powders for shake things like Vital Strength etc?
Would you recommend those? Or would you just recommend doing weights and eating(or trying in my case) to eat properly?

Tuesday was the last day I touched fast food junk, and don't plan on touching it again any time soon.

Just looking for some tips to help build some muscle mass, not really going to get into it too seriously as in body building and what not.

Start going to gym. Learn the big compound lift movements, like bench press, squat, deadlift, military press and go from there. Lift heavy! 8-12 reps for 3 - 4 sets. FORM OVER WEIGHT!!! Take your ego out of the equation. Train minimum 3 times a week.

Clean up your diet, start eating more healthy protein (lean red meat, chicken, fish, egg whites), clean carbs (sweet potato, brown rice, wholegrains, oats) and healthy fats (avocado's, egg yolks, almonds, walnuts, olive oil etc).

Eat 4-6 times a day, limit your carbs.

Protein powders and shakes etc are fine, but they are 'supplements' for real food.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
So I gave the pretrainer a go this morning, I went half a scoop instead of a full one. Definite energy boost over Oxyelite (caps) and Black Bombs. It's got DMAA in it and I had the slight reported effects (tingles and such) off it plus I noticed I felt a lot warmer than usual. If anyone wants to know what it is and where to get it, it's called Noxipro and I got it off eBay for about $45 delivered. If anyone is interested ill post the item number.

dumpedvs

sheppa8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S
So I gave the pretrainer a go this morning, I went half a scoop instead of a full one. Definite energy boost over Oxyelite (caps) and Black Bombs. It's got DMAA in it and I had the slight reported effects (tingles and such) off it plus I noticed I felt a lot warmer than usual. If anyone wants to know what it is and where to get it, it's called Noxipro and I got it off eBay for about $45 delivered. If anyone is interested ill post the item number.

Gym is the highlight of my day, that gets me pumped enough :)

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
just coming up to renew my 12 month membership, so almost been going for a year and ive put on over 10kg, thank ####! :)

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Time for an update! I weighed myself on Saturday morning and was 107.1Kg. This morning I was 108.2Kg but I expected that as I didn't train Sunday, Monday or Tuesday because I was in Sydney for the weekend with my missus for her birthday and had a bit of a splurge with dinner. I was good though, I managed a single beer the whole time I was there which is a pretty damn good effort considering if I wasn't training I would have had at least 5 a night. I even managed dinner with my in laws at the club last week without beer!

Most of last week I hovered around the 108 mark so I'm now officially saying I'm 108Kg. I've been seriously thinking about kicking my routine up a notch and hitting an hour of hard cardio in the mornings and weight training with cardio in the arvo. If that happens though it'll be starting in about a month after I toughen up my eating habits.

I was talking with my work mate today about training and told him that every now and then I get this little voice inside my head telling me to push myself just to see how far I could actually go, like, smash out the cardio to burn fat and see how much muscle I can actually put on. He said that my attitude has done a huge 180 because he remembered a conversation we had about a year ago where I said that there was no way I could bodybuild and be a slave to my body.

I had an awesome moment on the weekend where I looked at my face in the mirror of a lift and said to my missus that the mirrors are very flattering because my face looks so skinny and she goes "uhh, that's what you actually look like now". That was really awesome to hear.

Anyway, another update in a week or so. Hopefully the next month will see some big losses.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Gym is the highlight of my day, that gets me pumped enough :)

I'm heading down that path, all I want to do at work is hurry up to get to the gym. It's a awesome feeling and much better than looking forward to getting home to drink beer and watch tv.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Not advice , but a quote on the wall of my gym

Crying is acceptable
Crawling is acceptable
Bleeding is acceptable
Struggling is acceptable
Vomiting is acceptable

QUITTING IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
0eqi17q.jpg

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
So what are everyone's PBs on the leg press?

200kg x6