Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais V6 fuel consumption poor

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi all, I've got a stock vs Calais v6 96 model. Automatic. I feel as if this car is drinking fuel like a 5 litre. Is this normal for city driving?
170km 26.30L 6:40hrs
288km 50.6L 12hrs
262km 44L 10.18hrs

Thanks!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Not even a 5l uses that much fuel. those figures; is that the trip meter or fill at pump, use then fill again? If its trip, don't trust it, use the pump method.

When was its last service? Is camber/toe correct been adjusted lately? Have U change o2 sensors in the time u've had the car? Changed air filter?

There are a heap of things that affect fuel usage, give us a little more info and we'll get it running better.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Change fuel filter, O2 sensors, air filter take off plenum and clean the #### outa it and the tb clean Pcv valve, service injectors and throw a can of subaru upper engine cleaner down its throat you can do all of this for under $200 I would also look into your cts it's cheap to replace and could be causing it to run like its cold all the time ps you would make that $200 back in like 3 tanks worth at your rate hahahaha

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
thanks for the reply guys. I bought the car a month ago, one owner 186,000Km. i am going by the trip meter. the amount of litres is what it has used from a full tank example: 50.6 litres got me 288kms. that is a sh*t load of fuel! i changed the plugs, leads and air filter. got a fuel filter just need to fit it. i didnt think to much about the sensors. was going to get the fuel injectors cleaned.. it steers a little to the left, need a wheel alignment and balance. ill change everything yous mentioned and get back to yous. Cheers

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Steering should always pull slightly to the left if done correctly, honestly man before you throw dosh at it buy the $20 injector service kit, service the injectors very easy to do as I outlined previously, put them back in then go to Subaru buy a can of upper engine cleaner, pop the plenum cover spray 3/4 of the can down each of the holes, and around the plenum chamber, then close him back up run the engine and while its running squirt the rest in through the vacuum hose at the back of the plenum, and if still issues pull the pump out and it will have a filter also, you should have no worries then!

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Can u see the gauge to down while driving lol? That's crazy it's like 18L per 100!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Steering should always pull slightly to the left if done correctly...

I'm calling bullshit on that one, that's what they tell you when the wheel aligner gets a rev from the manager for spending too much time on getting it spot on.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Wheels out of alignment can add around 7% to your fuel usage.
Worth sorting that problem first.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
My uncle is the national rep for Bridgestone think he knows what he's talking about as far as iv been told by him it's a safety thing which in the case of a driver falling asleep at the wheel they don't go into oncoming traffic, they just end up in a tree with the monkeys! Lol u can do it yourself with string lines me and my mate do it its more accurate and its how F1 do it!