Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with Bone Stock VE 6.0L L76 Engine w/ 6L80 Auto Transmission

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I have been searching through the forum and read tons of threads. Have not found a good answer.

What I will like to know is, what is the maximum weight that I can tow (safely/worries) without any modifications beside the hitch installation (of course including wiring).

According to the Owners Manual
Weight of the Trailer
How heavy can a trailer safely be? It should never weigh more than 2,000 lbs (907 kg). But even that can be too heavy.

Reading through some posts looks like the vehicle is way more capable than what the Owners Manual recomends.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
with the correct towbar and a braked trailer it should pull 2100kgs. But there could be some reason the us version recommends a lower weight.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
The USA is a Lawyer cesspool and GM is too scare to do anything because of stupid lawsuits. On another thought, might be some from GM to force you in buying a truck :D

I do tow with other cars that I own, but reading you guys posts and seen photos, I can see these cars are capable of some serious towing. I do not want to get on modifications and was wondering as is what I can do with it.

So braked trailer 2100 KG (4629.708 Lbs) that is some heavy stuff. The drivetrain will be ok too?

What about un-braked?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Unbraked 750kg including trailer.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Thanks for the help, highly appreciated :)

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I tow a 2000kg boat and trailer with my 2011 SV6 auto. Factory heavy duty tow pack fitted, with weight distribution hitch.
Does it easy.

Vector

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 R8
In addition to having the correct gear fitted to the car, including oil cooler on the trans (over 1600kg) in Aus you can't tow anything heavier than your tow vehicle, that is total weight, trailer and the load. Neither should you, its one of the causes for trailers getting out of control, I have been at the wheel when this happened (once) and it is scary stuff.

Any trailer with a GVM (fully laden weight) over 2 tonne must have brake away brakes fitted (brakes apply automatically if trailer becomes disconnected from the vehicle).

No Commodore should be towing something over 2 tonne despite the availability of the 2100kg tow package.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
In addition to having the correct gear fitted to the car, including oil cooler on the trans (over 1600kg) in Aus you can't tow anything heavier than your tow vehicle, that is total weight, trailer and the load. Neither should you, its one of the causes for trailers getting out of control, I have been at the wheel when this happened (once) and it is scary stuff.

Any trailer with a GVM (fully laden weight) over 2 tonne must have brake away brakes fitted (brakes apply automatically if trailer becomes disconnected from the vehicle).

No Commodore should be towing something over 2 tonne despite the availability of the 2100kg tow package.

Your statement above in bold is wrong. You can tow up to the plated capacity of the car and or tow bar package. So a commodore with a 2100kg towbar can legally tow 2100kg. A commodore with a 1600kg rated towbar can only tow 1600kg.
Yes the trailer needs to have break away brakes and brakes on all wheels if over 1999kg.

Whether you should or should not is up to the individual, I have done several thousand km towing my boat with aussie six sedans and they do a great job. The proviso is that the trailer and tow car need to be set up properly - you need to know what you are doing.
But the same goes for towing with mini trucks or 4WD's. The total package needs to be set up well.
Your average aussie sedan has a longer wheelbase and a lower centre of gravity than a 4WD, which actually makes them good for towing. They are also lighter, so if you need them too, they will stop quicker, it's simple physics.