Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw Power Pack W310 - does it affect Fuel Economy?

wongbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Coomodore SSV Redline
Hi - Sorry if this is a dumb question - I am thinking about getting a Walkinshaw W310 Power Pack fitted to my VF SSV Redline - I was just concerned that if this turns off active fuel management if it is going to have a significant imnpact on fuel economy - can anyone advise on this?

I know Fuel economy shouldn't be your 1st priority with a V8 but it is a consideration as I do heaps of Kms weekly

Thanks for any thoughts on this
Andrew

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Undoubtedly yes it will effect your fuel economy. Your car will also no longer be ADR or EPA compliant and it will void your GM powertrain warranty for some failures. Walkinshaw do offer to take over that portion of the warranty but be very careful to read the fine print before you go ahead.

wongbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Coomodore SSV Redline
Thanks Reaper - appreciate your comments - definitely thinking twice about it now. Mostly I was looking to get a nice V8 sound as I really love my Redline SSV but it is sooo quiet!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Undoubtedly yes it will effect your fuel economy. Your car will also no longer be ADR or EPA compliant and it will void your GM powertrain warranty for some failures. Walkinshaw do offer to take over that portion of the warranty but be very careful to read the fine print before you go ahead.

If a vehicle is no longer compliant ADR or EPA then it would be illegal to drive it on a road. Furthermore if authorities become aware of the non-compliance your vehicle registration will be cancelled and your insurance company will wipe their hands of you and your car. You could also incur very substantial fines for non-compliance EPA.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon

If you should proceed with modifications and they result in your vehicle becoming non-compliant with ADR and EPA, you will no longer legally be able to drive it on a road (obviously race track would still be OK). You can also expect Dept of Transport authorities to take a dim view which will likely result in cancellation of your vehicle registration. Your insurance company will also want to get into the act with insurance cover cancellation. Suggest you think long and hard on the matter and consult with all relevant authorities to ensure you don't fall foul of them end their 'big stick'. You could also expect very substantial monetary fines from EPA etc. Good luck.

catback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
APS in Frankston have a EPA approved kit , you might want to give them a buzz

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS

Considering Walkinshaw would be the next closet thing to factory, I would have thought a Walkinshaw pack that is sold through Holden dealers would be ADR compliant. I guess the OP should ask the direct question is it compliant.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So that would mean that almost every LS on the road today probably isn't EPA/ADR complaint.......

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Considering Walkinshaw would be the next closet thing to factory, I would have thought a Walkinshaw pack that is sold through Holden dealers would be ADR compliant. I guess the OP should ask the direct question is it compliant.

Why are they the next closest thing to factory? They have no affiliation with Holden or GM. Their closest link is an arrangement with some 3rd party franchise dealers.

As for EPA compliance, refer to item 7 here: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/1031 3.pdf. No mention of EPA compliance is made on their website and because each car is individually dyno tuned I'd assume it's not individually EPA approved thus does not comply. Walkinshaw Performance - W310

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
So that would mean that almost every LS on the road today probably isn't EPA/ADR complaint.......

Yep but because it's so widely done it's something not many people realise. Probably most cops wouldn't even realise.