Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx ecotec bottom end

Status
Not open for further replies.

VX_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
Hi all, I wanna get a stage 2 crow cam from mace engineering and the ultra high ratio roller rockers 1.98, I just wanna know how much power can the stock bottom end take on a standard ecotec?
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You won't break an N/A bottom end with a cam. Needless to say it will give you dick all power though, will just move the rev range higher really and you'll lose low down torque.

Pretty pointless buying the rockers if you buy a cam though, doubt they can be used together. Why not just buy a cam with more lift instead?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are cams specifically designed to run with high ratio rockers however they were designed for those that originally had the rockers and wanted to add a cam later. If you are starting fresh you are better of just getting the appropriate cam, use the standard ratio rockers and spend the extra money on getting some decent valve springs etc.

Rather than the crow cams which are fairly mild you would be better off with one of his Comp Cams ecotec grinds.

VX_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I was even thinking of the stage 2 comp cam with the 1.8:1 or 1.7:1 roller rockers because I know bigger is not always better but I'm also new to this stuff haha, I'm a p plater and I'm sick of having a slow car so that's why I'm always thinking of ways to get some power but once one thing goes on it'll never stop from there
I know I'll be losing bottom end power but I was even thinking of getting a bigger throttle body with the intake spacers and a set of the smallest in diameter but longest in length headers to make up the lost power down low because atm all I have is the mace mail order tune, 2 and a half inch catback, 3.46:1 LSD and a hsv air intake scoop with a k&n panel filter and Iv also took out the honey comb from the maf
And also with a stage 2 cam and roller rockers if I decide to go that way will I need a stally?

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You need to look at what you want from the cam and its specs. "Stage 2" is not a form of measurement. Figure out how much lift you want and go from there, don't bother with the rockers at all if you don't have them, just factor them into your choice of cam. As for stally, you need to look at the cams specs and find out where its rev range is.

Wouldn't bother with a T/B either, the stock one won't be a restriction and needs a retune to work properly. Taking the mesh out of the MAF does squat too, it's there to stop crap getting in.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Slow car ? Yes it's a family car.
Save your money, behave while on your p plates and get a v8 when you have your opens.
I followed this plan, 5 years off my ps and still have a bog standard Ecotec.
I'd look at spending your cash on suspension etc first before looking for power.
Any performance upgrades may void your insurance if in the event of an accident.

VX_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
I took out the mesh from the maf because gm Motorsport do it on the cars they tune and I got a k&n filter and they usually stop all the crap getting into the engine
I already got eibach springs and soon I'll be getting b8 sport bilstein shocks
I'm thinking of a vy or vz ls1 but I also like the ecotec engines but I was think instead of spending so much to buy a ls1 I could spend that on the v6 and maybe keep on going from there
I take my car to track days to practice controlling the car and that and it's a lot safer at the track than the streets because I can't get into trouble and that and Easter creek race track is wide as but I just don't got the power to hold it sideways long enough but that's what you get from a v6

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Leave it standard and put your money into an l67 so it's ready to put in when you get your full license. Easiest engine conversion ever. The ecotecs go more than well enough to get you into trouble anyway.

Gotta be careful on the street driving a modified car on your p's.

I'm still on my probationary licence too, and I know plenty of people who have lost their licences, or written off their first cars. A few have had their cars impounded too. You can't really get away with doing anything stupid these days, and with your license at stake it's not really worth it.

Insurance is more of a concern as mentioned above. I'd be focusing on making sure it handles and brakes well (if you haven't already) before putting money into the engine.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I already got eibach springs and soon I'll be getting b8 sport bilstein shocks
I'm thinking of a vy or vz ls1 but I also like the ecotec engines but I was think instead of spending so much to buy a ls1 I could spend that on the v6 and maybe keep on going from there
I take my car to track days to practice controlling the car and that and it's a lot safer at the track than the streets because I can't get into trouble and that and Easter creek race track is wide as but I just don't got the power to hold it sideways long enough but that's what you get from a v6

No, Thats cos it's not a bloody race car.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The stock ecotec is fairly average to drive IMHO and they were designed like that so that nanna can drive it without wrapping it around a power poll like used to happen with the early V6 Commodores. Holden specifically dampened throttle response by fitting that extra lump in the throttle body coupled with an engine that doesn't make much torque until you get into the power band means any idiot can drive it without killing themselves.

One of the best and simplest mods is to fit a 69mm TB and corresponding tune to solve this issue. I have done this for a number of people who are more than happy with the results, they supply the TB, I modify the tune to suit. Same can be said for the L67 engines, it was the first thing my missus complained about when I bought her L67........

I also wholly believe that Holden ####ed up setting up the drive train for the V6 models, they should never had had 3.08 gears. 3.45's would have been much more ideal all round.

Having said all that, been on your P's I wouldn't recommend making a lot of changes to your vehicle, should you get caught mr Plod will take great pleasure in doing what ever they will do to you.

No, Thats cos it's not a bloody race car.

That can be said about 99% of the cars manufactured in the world today and yet many of them are raced!

This guy seems to be doing the right thing by having fun at a track day and not racing on the street and the bloody PC brigade on JC are still out bitching about it. Grow up cause he's doing the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.