Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motorcycle Exhaust Noise

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
but what section of the ADR is that quoted from or where is it referred to in the ADRs ?
either way all the models listed above are still well under the 100db for 'other motorcycles' stated in ADR83. So in a nutshell, Harleys still need to comply with ADR83.

Harley's are manufactured for on road use so aren't considered "other motorcycles".

And they still all have to comply with ADR 83/00 which states 94db.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Harley's are manufactured for on road use so aren't considered "other motorcycles".

And they still all have to comply with ADR 83/00 which states 94db.

you need to read the ADR that you quoted properly
For motorcycles built on or after 1 March 1984, and designed or manufactured for use on a road, the level is 94 decibels. The noise level for other motorcycles is 100 decibels.

in other words.
If you have a road bike (irrelevant of manufacturer) built on or after 1st March 84, then it must not exceed 94db.
However if your bike is built (irrelevant of manufacturer) BEFORE 1st March 84, (other motorcycle) then it must not exceed 100db

Last edited:

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I can't say much, I don't ride anymore as I don't have a bike but being a rider, you'll be suprised how many people bloody almost change lanes right into you, even when you're not in their blind spot. With a some-what loud exhaust, you pull the clutch in and give it a rev and they definitely stop pulling over towards you. The horn on a bike is just useless.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I can't say much, I don't ride anymore as I don't have a bike but being a rider, you'll be suprised how many people bloody almost change lanes right into you, even when you're not in their blind spot. With a some-what loud exhaust, you pull the clutch in and give it a rev and they definitely stop pulling over towards you. The horn on a bike is just useless.

When I got my bike license when my brother got his new bike. I learned so much and opened my eyes to so much about how bike riders survive on the roads.

Sometimes, that loud bike saves your life and I really dont care who it pisses off.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
you need to read the ADR that you quoted properly
For motorcycles built on or after 1 March 1984, and designed or manufactured for use on a road, the level is 94 decibels. The noise level for other motorcycles is 100 decibels.

in other words.
If you have a road bike (irrelevant of manufacturer) built on or after 1st March 84, then it must not exceed 94db.
However if your bike is built (irrelevant of manufacturer) BEFORE 1st March 84, (other motorcycle) then it must not exceed 100db

Errrr.... Yeah.... Exactly.... I understand that. What's your point?

Hardly any motorcycles made for road use that are registered and ridable are older than 1984. Sure there's a few classics getting around, and a few clunkers. But the vast majority on the road can't exceed 94db.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Errrr.... Yeah.... Exactly.... I understand that. What's your point?

Hardly any motorcycles made for road use that are registered and ridable are older than 1984. Sure there's a few classics getting around, and a few clunkers. But the vast majority on the road can't exceed 94db.

Errrr.... So why did you disagree with my other post if you already understood what I said.....

I've maintained from the very beginning of this thread that Harleys aren't exempted from ADR83. But then you argued my reply ?? Now you say you understand that ?
You responded to my post with the following

My reply to you was - In the ADR - 'other motorcycles' refers to any motorcycles that aren't manufactured on or after March 1st 1984
So any pre March 84 build Harley (or any other manufacturer) can indeed can be considered under ADR83 as 'other motorcycles', therefore permitted up to 100db. I was in fact correct in what I said.

So totally agree that anything post March 84 must not exceed 94db and anything prior to that must not exceed 100db. I honestly don't know why you argued with me in the first place, when were both basically saying the same thing....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Oh FFS! Really?

Show me all the pre-1984 Harleys getting around.

Yes, I said "Harley's are manufactured for on road use so aren't considered 'other motorcycles.'" And yes that's true for all but a very few pre-1984 exceptions. Sorry for not going into as much detail as you needed to understand the context of my post.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Oh FFS! Really?

Show me all the pre-1984 Harleys getting around.

Yes, I said "Harley's are manufactured for on road use so aren't considered 'other motorcycles.'" And yes that's true for all but a very few pre-1984 exceptions. Sorry for not going into as much detail as you needed to understand the context of my post.

are you for real....
it doesn't MATTER how many pre 1984 Harleys there are on the road. Whether it be a post 03/84 Harley or a pre 03/84 Harley, it has to comply with ADR 83. How many pre 84 Harleys there are on the road doesn't change what the ADR states and that's what I was referring to that you argued and now are agreeing with.

I have stated from the beginning that Harleys are NOT exempted from ADR 83. Not Abba Fan said there were exemptions for Harleys and presented a data sheet. I asked him where that data sheet is or referred to in the ADR's and then you replied to my post arguing with some random **** that Harleys aren't considered 'other motorcycles'. FFS....

Why on earth did you bother arguing with my post in the first place, when we both agree that Harleys aren't exempt from ADR 83....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
are you for real....
it doesn't MATTER how
many pre 1984 Harleys there are on the road. Whether it be a post 03/84 Harley or a pre 03/84 Harley, it has to comply with ADR 83. How many pre 84 Harleys there are on the road doesn't change what the ADR states and that's what I was referring to that you argued and now are agreeing with.

I have stated from the beginning that Harleys are NOT exempted from ADR 83. Not Abba Fan said there were exemptions for Harleys and presented a data sheet. I asked him where that data sheet is or referred to in the ADR's and then you replied to my post arguing with some random **** that Harleys aren't considered 'other motorcycles'. FFS....

Why on earth did you bother arguing with my post in the first place, when we both agree that Harleys aren't exempt from ADR 83....

Darren

Welcome to the world of Raj where confusion can reign......

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

Um, you started the argument. I knew we agreed. *shrug*