Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Future value of our LS3 Powered VF Series 11

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Ok guys.. as the title says, who thinks our cars being the first LS3 powered ss Commodore also the last run of the Commodore. We all know weve got the Insignia to look forward too. So i know mines a keeper.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It'll have the best resale of any Commodore, ever.
But I wouldn't expect the value to exceed purchase-price for maybe 30 years. Unless the value is stuffed by a lack of petrol, which I suspect will occur with electricity storage (or creation - fuel cells) becoming more & more affordable.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I think the 2017 builds will be worth a bit more down the track, but will cost more so each to the own.

Get a good deal and drive while fuels 99c

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
It'll be a very long time (if at all) before we see a potential rise in the value. For a long time there will be plenty kicking around on the secondhand market. They may hold their value better than other commodores during that time but I'm not sure if people will really want to pay too much for them in the future, given the huge amount of cars that are coming out with superior technology, even though they may not be V8's.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I can't see them ever exceeding purchase price, but at least a 6.2 should be better than any other Commodore. Going back to when Holden stopped making One Tonners, they seemed to get better money than other Commodores, I think something similar will be the case with well kept low Km 6.2's and presumably LSA GTS and Clubsport.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
They will depreciate like every other commodore ever.
If you want to stick it in a garage for 30 years and not drive it, you might be on a winner.

But there will be better 30 year investments than a clunky old V8.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Remember WB statesman's/caprice used to hold there value for a while to.

Monaros weren't cheap and although still worth a few $$$$ they are getting lower now days

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
I wont be expecting a pay day from the VF2 but I definitely considered the effect of them going away altogether as positive on resale. The thing that kills Commodores is that each year Holden either sell the same car for less (remember the VF price drop !) or they bring a new model with significant upgrades. So I expect those of us with with early VF2's will still take a hit next year as there will be even better deals about on them new. Once they are gone though, we are not going to get a 2018 redline with a 340kw LT1 to stick it to LS3 owners so that helps.

For a similar situation, look at the FPV's. All of the FG 335's are enjoying pretty decent resale right now because Ford buyers were blind sided by how ugly the FGX XR8 was going to be and not everybody wants a 2 door Mustang. So if you want the last of the decent Aussie built Ford 4 doors, you are prying one from the hands of an existing owner.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
I think they will retain better resale then a series one VF, but having the LSA powered HSV's above them will also limit their long term appeal a bit too.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Another thing to remember is that there are a lot of substitutes, given that HSV has had the LS3 in the vehicles for a long time. If the VF SII had a completely different engine from any other vehicles then I could see the potential for it to be a collectors item, but not when there are so many alternatives