Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY life expectancy?

What would you do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schimitar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I have a VY Berlina V6 that has 308,000 k's on it and am interested in peoples experience on how well they are lasting with this kind of mileage? (I understand there are many factors at play and that it is very subjective).

The car has always had its required services at a Holden dealer.

It needs work on the intake manifold ($800 according to holden dealer) and has a small power steering leak ($200) and needs a new thermostat (runs cold in the winter).

I have already replaced the gearbox, radiator and air conditioner core. The engine uses a bit of oil but otherwise runs great.

I think this is a great car to drive but it needs new tyres and I need to make an economic decision. (Don't want to spend money and then risk other major things going wrong).

Appreciate any feedback and apologies if there is a similar thread that I missed.

Thanks

Jeff

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
If everything else is working fine on it, I'd say keep it. Partner has a Vy S Pack and its at 265k; everything still works, it runs great, no leaks, doesn't use oil but is very well maintained (service every 10k, trans fluid changed annually etc). Everytime I drive it I see why we haven't got rid of it- its very comfortable, reliable and quite economical.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I have a VY Berlina V6 that has 308,000 k's on it and am interested in peoples experience on how well they are lasting with this kind of mileage? (I understand there are many factors at play and that it is very subjective).

The car has always had its required services at a Holden dealer.

It needs work on the intake manifold ($800 according to holden dealer) and has a small power steering leak ($200) and needs a new thermostat (runs cold in the winter).

I have already replaced the gearbox, radiator and air conditioner core. The engine uses a bit of oil but otherwise runs great.

I think this is a great car to drive but it needs new tyres and I need to make an economic decision. (Don't want to spend money and then risk other major things going wrong).

Appreciate any feedback and apologies if there is a similar thread that I missed.

Thanks

Jeff

What sort of Intake Manifold work would cost $800 ? You might be able to put a Mace spacer in there and get a slight upgrade at the same time for that sort of money. At the very least get a second opinion. "Stealership" for reason.

VX with 290 xxx and going strong and looking for it go a while yet.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My VY has 300k, its fine. I do most of the work myself.

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Just dont go to a **** mechanic, dealerships may be expensive but they'll do the job right and you wont need to go back.
Shitty places will do up bolts and use hand tight as a specification of tightness.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
What sort of Intake Manifold work would cost $800 ? You might be able to put a Mace spacer in there and get a slight upgrade at the same time for that sort of money. At the very least get a second opinion. "Stealership" for reason.

VX with 290 xxx and going strong and looking for it go a while yet.

I would assume it's the lower manifold gasket, which a MACE spacer has nothing to do with. A decent mechanic will charge you a lot less.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Agree with the others, you are getting touched up on prices there...
We have several fleet vy commodores at work one has done 490k and another is at 470k both original engines and still running fine.. Lots of stuff done over the years but surprisingly still drive very well..

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I would assume it's the lower manifold gasket, which a MACE spacer has nothing to do with. A decent mechanic will charge you a lot less.
True. We need to know what 'Manifold Gasket' means. For that sort of money it may well be the lower manifold gasket in which case make sure those better 'alloy' (please correct me if wrong) ones are used.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
True. We need to know what 'Manifold Gasket' means. For that sort of money it may well be the lower manifold gasket in which case make sure those better 'alloy' (please correct me if wrong) ones are used.

The alloy ones are better (MACE sells them) but I would expect Holden to use standard ones (they don't like anything not OEM).