Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Load Rated Tyres for Holden Commodore UTE VE Omega II

omri76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Holden Commodore UTE Omega II VE
Hi all, ... new member and can't find these answers anywhere. Im getting different feedback from VIC roads and from professional tyre retail stores.

I've got a 2011 Holden Omega II UTE currently on 225/60/16 stock steel rims (silver). Tyres are 102H load rated.

Now I'm due for new tyres and from what i can gather, the tyres have to be 102 load rated (or above). My question is does the alloy rims also need to be load rated?

I'm thinking of going with alloy wheels that come off a Holden SV6, like these: Holden sv6 wheels | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Greater Dandenong - Dandenong | 1097042460

Now these are obviously 18 inch wheels but if I put 245/45/18 tyres that are load rated to 102H, would it still be road worthy?

Thanks.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Yes the rims have to be load rated too. One could assume that the SV6/SS ute 18" runs would net the load rating and be legal. There may be differences in the wheels or models tho so check your tyre placard to see what rating your vehicle needs

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I run 245/45/18 on my ssv. They are 100 load rated Michelin pilot super sports. I'm pretty sure the required load rating is less in the ss and ssv models. Not 100% and I'm now frightened to check.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Holdens own wheels aren't load rated.

I've got a SII SV6 stock load rating tires are 100 (800KG) yet the stock SS/SV6 rims are only rated for 750KG

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
You need to use what is listed on the tyre plackard. Load index must be the same or greater than what the vehicle was tested with for ADR.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8

Yes they are!!! They have been designed and manufactured to met a standard, ADRs and have to be load rated to do that. They may not stamp the load rating on the wheels but there still engineered to met a legal standard otherwise they can not legal sell the cars in Australia for road use.

Last edited:

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Yes they are!!! They have been designed and manufactured to met a standard, ADRs and have to be load rated to do that. They may not stamp the load rating on the wheels but there still engendered to met a legal standard otherwise they can not legal sell the cars in Australia for road use.
Interesting considering the Stock SV6 SII rims are cast on the back as 750KG, I'll see If I've still got a pick as I've since parted with those rims.
As you say not all rims are marked with their load rating though.

omri76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes the rims have to be load rated too. One could assume that the SV6/SS ute 18" runs would net the load rating and be legal. There may be differences in the wheels or models tho so check your tyre placard to see what rating your vehicle needs

When I spoke to VIC Roads, they said the alloy rims do not need to be load rated because the tyres would fail before the rims would. That's why you often find that the load rating on rims are lighter than the tyres. As long as the rims conform to Aus Standards.

The difference between 100 & 102 load rating is 50kg (25kg per point).

So If I put 100 load rated tyres on would the vehicle be un-roadworthy?

omri76

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to use what is listed on the tyre plackard. Load index must be the same or greater than what the vehicle was tested with for ADR.

So If I put 100 load rated tyres on would the vehicle be un-roadworthy?

omri76

Reaction score
Members Ride

I've got a SII SV6 stock load rating tires are 100 (800KG) yet the stock SS/SV6 rims are only rated for 750KG

My UTE's tyres are 102H rated. Difference between 100 and 102 load rating is 50kg (25kg per point)