Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who’s keeping their cars?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
For me the only logical upgrade would be to an LSA Clubsport and I just don't need it or want to risk it.

Thought about upgrading my Maloo to an LSA Maloo.

Some drivers cant be trusted with that much grunt under their right foot.

I'm one of 'em.....

HSV Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF Tourer
Money down on a 2017 LSA Tourer. It will be my daily until the grave or until I can't afford the fuel. Either way, its not for sale during my lifetime.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I believe that this is going to be an interesting situation.

I am currently considering buying one of the last SV6 Manuals with a view to keeping it as long as possible. If not, my MY14 will stay in the family as long as I can keep it going.

However, the computers in the car, being totally integral to the operation, may make that difficult in the long run. I am already hearing of ten year old falcons being permanently "retired" due to computer glitches and no more parts.

Those older cars you see driving around are so much less complex, so it is not that hard to keep them going. I personally have a couple of 40 to 50 yo Triumphs that have proven reasonably easy to keep going, especially as they are not daily drivers.

If I had the money, I would seriously consider buying and storing one.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
However, the computers in the car, being totally integral to the operation, may make that difficult in the long run. I am already hearing of ten year old falcons being permanently "retired" due to computer glitches and no more parts.

I don't believe this will be such an issue. When EFI cars started coming out in the early 80's people carried on like it was the end of the world thinking that the cars were too complicated and nobody would be able to fix them. Well that was proven wrong and many of those cars are still running fine today.
I certainly haven't heard of ten year old Falcons being retired due to lack of parts, go to any wrecker and there are mountains of parts available.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I believe that this is going to be an interesting situation.

I am currently considering buying one of the last SV6 Manuals with a view to keeping it as long as possible. If not, my MY14 will stay in the family as long as I can keep it going.

Those older cars you see driving around are so much less complex, so it is not that hard to keep them going. I personally have a couple of 40 to 50 yo Triumphs that have proven reasonably easy to keep going, especially as they are not daily drivers.

If I had the money, I would seriously consider buying and storing one.

Just as a side issue, (and you may already be aware), if you want a manual SV6, you'll need to grab an MY16 (and I'd suggest quickly..). Manual SV6 has been discontinued for MY17..

Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir.. :)

gazpep

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Redline auto
I love my Vf1 Redline sedan and bought it new in September 2014 as our weekend/road trips car. At the same time we bought an I30 as our daily driver but as the wife and I are now both retired neither car gets a lot of mileage. The Redline has 22k on it and has done a few interstate road trips with almost no local driving and pretty much all highway work at which it excels.
I have toyed with the idea of buying one of the last Commodores but it seems a bit of an indulgence considering what we have at the moment is fitting our needs perfectly. If we were to upgrade I would probably go for a Clubsport with the LSA motor.
For the time being I'll wait to see what HSV deals come about this year before they close the doors. One thing I do know is that whoever gets my Redline will be getting a great car, the best I've ever owned in fact.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

There are standalone (not piggy back) aftermarket ECU’s available which do everything the OEM does when is come to engine management so I can’t believe there are cars that are being permanently retired due to this reason alone.

Sure some may not do everything like the air conditioning or auto windows which is often controlled by the BCM but they definitely make the cars drivable.

Also there already are companies that refurbish or remanufacturer OEM BCM's.

ECU’s (Electronic Control Unit) and BCM’s (Body Control Module) are not some black science that can’t be duplicated and if the time comes and the need is there then the aftermarket manufacturers will step in and provide a fix.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There are standalone (not piggy back) aftermarket ECU’s available which do everything the OEM does when is come to engine management so I can’t believe there are cars that are being permanently retired due to this reason alone.
It's that, plus cost:value ... a 10yo Falcon might not be worth as much as it costs to fit & tune an aftermarket ECU. :D

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
It's that, plus cost:value ... a 10yo Falcon might not be worth as much as it costs to fit & tune an aftermarket ECU. :D
That and usually a pile of rust by then.