Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 cold air intake options

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
If i went with a MAF version & had it tuned else where, holden would pick it up once they plugged into it wouldnt they? Thus voiding holden warranty?

Will void warranty to components it may effect like engine. If your shocks fail, they can't blame an OTR on that failure. Holden though still has to prove that your modification caused damage if you had an engine related issue after fitting OTR.

Cava91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Thanks guys appreciate it! Ill just go through walkinshaw i think, save the hassle

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been offered a VF R8 Sv black edition, clean air intake pipe with sound tube provision for $100. Is it an upgrade over the stock commodore LS3 clean air duct or don't bother. Yes I know OTR's are better but comparision is stock Holden vs stock HSV clean duct. Seems the HSV duct was fitted to the Zeta based camaro's.

Attachments

• mms_img-661403783.jpg
    mms_img-661403783.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 484
  • Resized_20170509_212101.jpeg
    Resized_20170509_212101.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 597

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I've been offered a VF R8 Sv black edition, clean air intake pipe with sound tube provision for $100. Is it an upgrade over the stock commodore LS3 clean air duct or don't bother. Yes I know OTR's are better but comparision is stock Holden vs stock HSV clean duct. Seems the HSV duct was fitted to the Zeta based camaro's.
Mate if it's the whole shebang like intake bend, (MAF?), coupler, airbox, special snout and all ducting to the front for the bi-modal flap, the bi-modal actuator itself... then hell yeah.
IMG_3382.jpg

But I doubt it. Likely just the intake bend (elbow), so beware if someone is selling you that bit and claiming it is just like the SV bi-modal.
If it is the whole assembly the challenge I found was integrating the bi-modal activation to the OS. I think you need to rig up a third party RPM relay.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Monstar. It's definitely off a sv r8 black edition, engine bay pic is his car (my cousins mate). He has the airbox and snout with flap but i didn't think it will work or be too hard to rig up to factory holden LS3, so i offered to buy just the intake pipe as i get to retain the sound tube. He is keeping his maf to put onto the vcm otr. The holden ls3 maf and the hsv maf look very similar.
I just thought the sv r8 intake elbow would be better than the stock intake elbow with a drop in filter.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Thanks Monstar. It's definitely off a sv r8 black edition, engine bay pic is his car (my cousins mate). He has the airbox and snout with flap but i didn't think it will work or be too hard to rig up to factory holden LS3, so i offered to buy just the intake pipe as i get to retain the sound tube. He is keeping his maf to put onto the vcm otr. The holden ls3 maf and the hsv maf look very similar.
I just thought the sv r8 intake elbow would be better than the stock intake elbow with a drop in filter.
See what he wants for all the fruit except MAF (same as yours anyway), RPM switch is piece of pizza. Worth the effort but doubt the elbow would do much TBH.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, thanks for your advise Monstar.. I'll see what he wants for all the bits.

shadow69

Reaction score
Members Ride
magnum on order
I have just got a rotofab from the States just for something different and also because it has got the intake noise elbow. It has also many independent dyno results tests so I am looking forward to fitting it this weekend. There are no cases of that intake throwing a code when it is installed properly.
is the intake noise elbow on the correct side to fit up to our rhd commodores? from what i have seen they have the spigot on the left hand side (looking from front of vehicle) to suit the lhd chevy ss as there sound enhancer comes down right side of motor not left side like ours?

reason for asking is i want a rotofab but want to retain sound enhancer as wellon my magnum when she turns up.

already ordered a new detector for the magnum and waiting impaitently

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like he ran a hose extension to connect the sound tube, refer pic taken from Crvee8 post. I was leaning towards a Rotofab intake too but may try the HSV R8 SV intake first as it also retains the sound tube.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 451