Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel vibration

Black-vy-exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive wagon S2
May have already been answered but i have a shudder/vibration coming through the steering wheel at 90-100kms. I've got new tyres, alignment and balance are perfect, new front lower control arms, tie rod ends, rack ends, brake pads and rotors, new centre bearing on tail shaft. Mechanic is scratching his head. Shocks look good.
It's not even noticable all the time. Anyone else had this issue? 2003 vy exec S2.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. Car has done lots of KMs I expect . Have you had the front wheel bearings checked to ensure there is no play in them.

2. If the wheel bearings are sound then what you have certainly appears to be a wheel/tyre issue with the vibration kicking in at a speed typical of an imbalance or out of round problem with the wheel/tyre rotation.

a. If you have aftermarket wheels which typically have a larger size centre bore size than the hub, you will normally get vibrations if you don't have the correct hub centric rings fitted to the wheels to position the wheel centrally on the hub before the wheel nuts are driven on.
b. Otherwise there will be most likely be an issue with either the tyres or wheels themselves.
- an out of round tyre or a tyre with a heavy spot in it that cannot be balanced out.
- a distorted front wheel
- a poor balancing job on the front wheels despite you being told the set you have are perfectly balanced. You would not be the first person to come to the forum with this complaint only to find later that the balance work was not in fact done properly.

You could pop the spare wheel/tyre (presumably an older tyre is fitted) from the boot on to each side and test run that spare on each side to see if there is a difference with the vibration.

What brand of new tyres did you buy?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
could be spark plug leads. depending on type of vibration

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
could be spark plug leads. depending on type of vibration

Leads and plugs aren’t known to effect steering vibration , I would check the balance again, if it vibrates while braking I’d bet it’s the rotors

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
at high speed if the car is shaking about, it could be the leads, it happened on my VS. changed leads and was fixed.

Black-vy-exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive wagon S2
Its only through the steering wheel and intermittenly which is odd

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
yea is the vibration like a

# whole wheel shakes and battles? - try other set of spark leads, or even check if your are on properly

OR

# a vibration like the way a mobile phone vibrates and only feel it through your hand? could be engine mounts