Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
VVT definitely has its place like you have just pointed out. It all comes down to what you use your car for really.. if having a bit of extra torque below 2000rpm does it for you then yes maybe consider VVT.. cant say i have any problem with torque in that area, after all its a 6.2L engine! And if im wanting to hall arse im well above 4500rpm anyway. And fuel efficiency? I didn't consider that when i bought a v8, but i can still average 8.4L/100km on an open road so i have no complaints there. Money better spent else where is all im saying. I still dont understand your beef with boost?? Im guessing you got spanked by a 2L turbo and need to come up with why your NA engine is better or something..
Well good on you for denying you’d like more power 95% of your driving time, that you only need more power going over the speed limit. Potential is there if you ever change your driving habits.
Fuel consumption on open road with a race cam is typically around same mark BTW. I get 6.x and that’s no big deal unless you drive hundreds of km a day on the highway, agreed. But the fact it is doughy and unresponsive until say 3000 is easily fixed by tune advancing the cam to be more effective on accelerator tip-in such that tune don’t need to open the throttle body to overtake better valve timing (throttle-less operation) makes driving efficiently less of a conscious effect and more satisfying, engaging on the road.
Not just highway cruise, same with idling, WOT take-off, part-throttle, is much more efficient (powerful / less heat / economical) for everything outside power enrichment.
During PE cam of course fully advanced before MBT then straight up at torque peak then phases combustion to slight overexpansion so as to extend the torque about 500 rpm and maximise horsepower (rev out) through reduced pumping loss.
With a huge top end race cam VVT follows and constantly adjusts the crank position of overlap to maximise inertial supercharging.
So yeah, even with VVT some cam specs just don’t idle nice, and some setups are purpose-built for narrow powerband drag racing. But in Camaro and Corvette drags VVT has shown to reduce the need for bypassing poor torque delivery in the lower RPM range, like a hi-stall is designed to do.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hmmm, they are not your threads as you don’t own the forum.

If you don’t like comments that don’t agree with yours then don’t start or post in threads.

Shouting others down as kiddies only reinforces you as a closed minded opinionated poster which in many fields where all discussion is valued shows you as unwilling to listen or learn or see worth and therefore devalues your own arguments.

Sticking to your theories without insults projects intelligence, hurling abuse against alternative views whether you’re right or wrong indicates the insecurity of your own muses.
Haha you sir are correct, I am not the OP and this is not my thread.
You know nothing of which the subject relates yet you come in with no contribution, ever, only broadcasting outrageous personal judgements. That is not against the rules, but nothing to do with my OP. Grow up and participate nicely.
Either contribute amicably, positively and educate where and if you can, else go away and stop butting in and acting like a doddery old school teacher about what you think are the forum rules.
Read them again FFS.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
SIHT there's rules? I'd better go read them................

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Put 3 fat ladies and a bucket of KFC in the ' Stinker ' and see how she goes then........

Stop it! Its too early in the morning to be turning me on.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I thought it was an anti-authoritarian slur at the royal family?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You'll need something with a lot more room than a stinger if ......... ^^^^

A really smart business man would open KFC franchises all over the islands.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I think the debate on here is pretty healthy and spirited without being too over the top.

There is not one solution for the ls engine performance upgrade. I like the idea of vvt very much and was a little annoyed that I didn’t reasearch this before I put my cam package in. Anything that extends the happy rev band is a winner imo.

It’s hard to comment on high stall converters. Never had a performance car with an auto. They flare the revs under load to a predetermined point I assume like a std converter does. Kinda like a speedboat. I assume these days they would only flare in first or first and 2nd to the higher stall speed. Could be wrong?

If this is the case it’s like diff gears u want them just short enough to the point it starts to break traction in the lower gears unless obviously provoked to do so. I guess if I had the revs flaring to 3-3500 every time u want to take off moderately hard it would create lots of heat and fuel use

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Google bots and Bing bits right now are patrolling the halls and corridors of this JC site - as in twice as many recognised (properly announced) internet search engine robots as there are members! Then there’s another mob 4x larger than members and bots combined, unannounced and unidentified Users. My guess is there’s some bots there too.
So it is highly likely that the tens of millions Hyundai (KIA) spent SEO and “media buying” and market analysis to pinpoint qualified immediate Australian buyers (you know, those looking for a replacement to their SS Commodore or XR Falcon), and force feeding kimuchee to those leads for about a year through subliminal viral digital stunts, that the dutiful robot hoarde has passed on the inevitable - it’s a dud pitch vs the local hero, pretty crap alternative for most (bar a subset of wood ducks who CGAF). That’s because Swinger isn’t really a replacement, something else off the mark, off my radar and my 20 nearest neighbours.
It is a bigger type of WRX / EVO thing like a Liberty that pretends to be competitive as a cheap Korean flavoured awd Euro sports in the league of Audi S3, Golf R, A45, and Alfa Giulia. Maybe even nudge Lexus and Infinity buyers vs whatever overpriced gimmick-packed hybrid shitbox rocks middle management execs this financial quarter.
Point is that for all the hoo-har and positioning as a full size sports saloon replacement for an SS, I think right now there’s 540+ robots building an obvious case that the initial marketing pitch to me and my like has swerved off the plate.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Are we being surveiled...........better be careful what we say then......o_O

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Were always been watched ;)