Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II Timing Chain/Check Engine

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Hi
My VE Series II LFW 3.0 Sportswagon was showing up the check engine light about 6 weeks ago,On and off. The light on the dash finally stayed on all the way from Sydney to Melbourne, idle was a bit rough, no pinging tho.
Took it into Holden they hooked it up to the obd port while check engine light was on dash and diagnostic check came up with fault code P00017 correlation bank one.
Dealership said requires new timing chain kit.
This was now about 4 weeks ago. The ecm light then went off for a week, back on for a few hours and now hasn't come on for 5 days. Still a bit lumpy on idle now and then nlbut not all the time.
Its booked in with Holden next week for the timing chain kit to be installed.
Is it worth it? Im not sure if I should fork out the cash and have the kit installed
Car has only travelled 122, 000kms.I want to hang on to it for another 2 years.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
If you are going to keep the car i would have it done,good for another 100,000K's if you keep the oil up to it,not worth wrecking the motor as obviously something is wrong.
Someone on here should be able to recommend a good workshop in Melb. to do the chains at least a $1000 cheaper than a Dealer,i think GMH dealers are charging $2500-$3000 these days.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i thought the chain issue was only up to 2008?
what was the service history on this car

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
i thought the chain issue was only up to 2008?
what was the service history on this car

Yes, I'd very much like to know exactly what the books say also.
One owner vehicle?

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
I would be getting a second opinion before paying to get the timing chain done. I had intermittent check engine light problems with my sv6 for months. I went to Holden to get them to scan the code and they said timing chain code but was coming and going. They finally ended up finding a faulty wire on one of the cam chain sensors. They just automatically say timing chains and hope fixing it makes the code go away. Don't trust them.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
From my understanding, timing chains are theoretically supposed to last the life of the engine (unlike timing belts). However they can stretch or degrade in quality due to manufacturing defects or design (early VE1's), or due to poor maintenance (long service intervals, poor quality of oil, etc.).

If you're asking if it will throw out codes if it needs to be replaced, yeah, OP's getting that code by the sounds of things.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have them do the software update and check the position of the sensors before replacing the chain.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
From my understanding, timing chains are theoretically supposed to last the life of the engine (unlike timing belts). However they can stretch or degrade in quality due to manufacturing defects or design (early VE1's), or due to poor maintenance (long service intervals, poor quality of oil, etc.).

If you're asking if it will throw out codes if it needs to be replaced, yeah, OP's getting that code by the sounds of things.
Not necessarily,, mine never throw any code out, but the rattle was getting noisier by the day, finally when I open the cover, picture wasn't the best, all 3 chains was stretched and one guide was shredded.
Because, for some reason, none of the chains jumped, didn't get a code.
Maintenance, nothing to do with it. It's just one of those unavoidable things, I guess.

Last edited: