Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will VF commodores (non V8 models) go up or down in price next year?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
We've got a ZB V6 in the company I'd never driven with the idea it's junk and not a real Holden, no interest in it. I drove it the other day and surprisingly, it's a nice car and would smack a VF SV6 everywhere, faster, smoother, handles better, nothing bad about it I could find!

Did you get in the back seats?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I consider myself a Holden fan but there are a whole lot of Holden models I wouldn't buy, I'd start with a Camira and finish with a Trax and anyone feel free to add the many models in between.

are we starting a bonfire?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've said it many times, the problem with the VF range is too many have been put away in cotton wool to make them uber desirable and a part from those mint condition cars, everyone who owns one as a daily or weekender thinks if they look after it, it'll be worth dollars in years to come.
I sold my 2015 VF R8 with 7000km's in June last year (2020) for 65k, I paid 50k for it in Dec '16 from a bloke who needed to unload it quickly. Unbelievable, I made a little profit and had my eye on '17 VF2 LSA Maloo (July 2020) with 3500km's the seller wanted 80k for. I told him he was dreaming and offered him 70k and he wouldn't budge. 80k, he's off his head I thought at the time but in hindsight, I should have bought it and in fact, I probably shouldn't have sold my R8. I had a VR GTS I bought new in '94 and sold in 2006 with 8500km's for 40k to build a race car, wonder what that'd be worth today?

It's not about money or profits, it's about withdrawal symptoms not having a Holden V8 that made me buy my SSVR ute. I guess I've had a Holden V8 since 1978 with an HQ Monaro and 42 years of Holden V8 addiction is a habit I can't easily or willingly kick!

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I consider myself a Holden fan but there are a whole lot of Holden models I wouldn't buy, I'd start with a Camira and finish with a Trax and anyone feel free to add the many models in between.

Colorado, too high for the dog to jump into, no load space, too slow, doesn't handle, not a ute's bootlace along with the rest of the dual cab utes. First Holden I hated was a Sunbird Torana particularly after driving an SLR 5000!

As far as the ZB goes, they couldn't show me the V8 version on Monday that I saw racing on Sunday and ruled that out instantly.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
The base model ZB other than having a turbo is basically similar to a Toyota Camry (and everything else on the global market)......4 cylinder east/west, front drive. If ZB models other than the VXR and Calais had the 3.6 V6 I would be more interested. The VXR no doubt kills the VF SV6.......but the VF still looks better. But I don't want a 4 cylinder front wheel drive.

Edit: I just had a look on carsales.com.au, some rs model ZB's have the V6 and 4WD

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Edit: I just had a look on carsales.com.au, some rs model ZB's have the V6 and 4WD

yes you can option the v6 on the rs which is the zb i have and when the v6 is optioned it comes with all of the v6 driveline like awd, hiperstrut,5link rear and fe2
there are also a few other bits inside that they option with it too, you can see what the different models(options) have here...
MY18 Commodore Brochure PDF

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I sold my 2015 VF R8 with 7000km's in June last year (2020) for 65k, I paid 50k for it in Dec '16 from a bloke who needed to unload it quickly. Unbelievable, I made a little profit and had my eye on '17 VF2 LSA Maloo (July 2020) with 3500km's the seller wanted 80k for. I told him he was dreaming and offered him 70k and he wouldn't budge. 80k, he's off his head I thought at the time but in hindsight, I should have bought it and in fact, I probably shouldn't have sold my R8. I had a VR GTS I bought new in '94 and sold in 2006 with 8500km's for 40k to build a race car, wonder what that'd be worth today?

It's not about money or profits, it's about withdrawal symptoms not having a Holden V8 that made me buy my SSVR ute. I guess I've had a Holden V8 since 1978 with an HQ Monaro and 42 years of Holden V8 addiction is a habit I can't easily or willingly kick!

I have a hard time letting my cars go and tend to store them unless someone offers me well over its value.

You’ve done well with your sale.

But I wouldn’t take the past few years as indicative to the long term value of Commodore variants due to the emotion brought on by the closure of the factory followed by the usually high prices of second hand cars currently being experienced during covid.

My brother-in-law who lives in the US recently said to me the same is happening over there, he was in the market for a second hand 6th Gen Camaro and said the prices they are asking are so ridiculous for a car that doesn’t normally hold its value.

When prices do eventually settle a truer indication of the value of what you own will be known.

Those who have limited edition cars and the flasher HSV’s will most likely do well and the rest not so.

Redlines may hold and V8’s in general won’t have their normal painful new car depreciation but will eventually drop as interest wanes.

Owners of wagons and Utes may also be in luck but who knows, it’s all just speculation.

Like you I’ve been buying cars since the 70’s and I’ve only ever bought Holden’s with V8’s and of my cars the only one I would never give up happens to be a 6 cylinder.

My grandfather’s factory original FB Holden Ute that he taught me to drive when I was 10 and left it to me when he died.

It sits in the back of the shed untouched for close to 30 years and as luck may have it, my father was smart enough to talk me out of dropping in a small block in during the 90’s so it has stayed original.

I have cars worth more and I have a close relationship with them all but the FB is the only one I have an unnatural emotional attachment to.

My children have no interest in them and have already indicated my cars will be sold off when I go.

Children, sometimes you have wonder why you have them.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Before the V6 price hike last year, we paid 25k for this '16 VF2 SV6 ute with 44,000km's and was about the right price at the time.

View attachment 225426
I like those wheels are they stock or aftermarket? I think VE and VF utes look far better with silver mags than those black ones that so many people seem to fit.