Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sprint Gas / Orbital Liquid LPG Installation V8 Sportwagon

PCW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford XR6 LPI
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has had an install done recently of the Orbital Liquid gas injection system by the team at sprint gas.

Looking at going into a VF SS Sportwagon but wanted to get an idea of any issues people may have had. Install quote came in at $4,000.00 and is around what I expected.

I do around 45K a year so think this may be worthwhile.

Cheers,
Pete

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
There is a recent thread for this where others have responded. Yes, I had the Orbital Liquid done three weeks ago on my VF Redline , it cost $4k and I'm really happy with it. I can't tell the difference when it's running on LPG or 98, when you swap between fuels the engine doesn't miss and it's impossible to tell when it cuts over.

I do about 40k per year and I keep track of my fuel usage - I was averaging 10.3 l/100 on 98, I'm now averaging 13.8 l/100 on LPG. Based on the fuel savings, I'll save the $4k in 1 year and 3 months.

I have the tank that sits where the spare wheel does, it's supposed to be 50L usable however I can only get 43L usage which gives me about 330km per fill. My installer is checking with Orbital/Sprint to see why I'm only able to use 43L and may have to do some adjustments - apart from that it's all good.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just make sure that your installer is experienced and competent. There are so many lpg hack jobs out there it isn't funny.

Once it's all set up and tuned properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you have the lpg filter changed when you change your oil too, otherwise the injectors will die very quickly, and are very expensive to replace.

PCW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford XR6 LPI
Thanks for the feedback gentleman,
Agree about the installation quality and that is possibly my greatest concern, trying to find someone in Melbourne, preferably bayside who won't do a hack job. I have been running an LPI Falcon for a while and the running costs are great. (34,500kMS cost me $3020.00 worth of gas)

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
Very happy with my conversion ,I started an earlier thread on this so you can look it up . I can get about 48-50 in the tank ,I think it depends on the pressure coming from the pump and how its set up and the cut off valve . Driving around non peak hour traffic the second last tank (after Woolworths discount) was $27 for 312 Klms . Disadvantages are what to do with spare wheel ( got a pump and puncture kit and have meant to take spare out but hey Ill get to it ) . The black inlet manifold cover has to sit a bit higher ( about 30 mm ) but thats no real problem . I've done about about 4,000 klms . It looks like I will do about 30,000 kms per year so fuel bill on gas will be around $3,000 allowing for some lead foot driving on 98 that would be about $6,000 so it will pay for itself less than 1 &1/2 years . I have no problems with that . As for resale value I really do not care as it will be kept in the family ,but if fuel prices go higher a V8 on LPG has a history of commanding a higher price than straight petrol . Its important to not that Crude Oils trades at around US $45 a barrel when it peaked a few years ago it it US $147 . The oil glut that has driven prices down will end and prices will rise so LPG looks a good idea .

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Do they do this kit for the SV6 models as well?

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
There is a recent thread for this where others have responded. Yes, I had the Orbital Liquid done three weeks ago on my VF Redline , it cost $4k and I'm really happy with it. I can't tell the difference when it's running on LPG or 98, when you swap between fuels the engine doesn't miss and it's impossible to tell when it cuts over.

I do about 40k per year and I keep track of my fuel usage - I was averaging 10.3 l/100 on 98, I'm now averaging 13.8 l/100 on LPG. Based on the fuel savings, I'll save the $4k in 1 year and 3 months.

I have the tank that sits where the spare wheel does, it's supposed to be 50L usable however I can only get 43L usage which gives me about 330km per fill. My installer is checking with Orbital/Sprint to see why I'm only able to use 43L and may have to do some adjustments - apart from that it's all good.

I can't make the numbers work here in WA.
Even using your figures above with LPG in WA at 72.9, ULP $1.337 and 98 $1.507 I'd get the following cost of fuel per $100kms: LPG $10.06, ULP $13.77 and 98 $15.52 (I've assumed I'd get the same economy on ULP as you get on 98, which is unlikely). Using these figures and the fact I do 40,000kms like you do I'd need the following to recoup the initial $4000 install price: Previously using ULP 2.7 years or 98 1.8 years
I'd be lucky to keep the car much after 3 years, and if I wanted to save fuel cost I'd shift to ULP any way, it'd take me 2.7 years to recoup the cost. Then there is the poor fuel capacity, having to refuel every 350kms would grind my gears too unfortunately.
I love the technology, just wish the subsidies were still in place for the average punter.

Last edited:

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I can't make the numbers work here in WA.
Even using your figures above with LPG in WA at 72.9, ULP $1.337 and 98 $1.507 I'd get the following cost of fuel per $100kms: LPG $10.06, ULP $13.77 and 98 $15.52 (I've assumed I'd get the same economy on ULP as you get on 98, which is unlikely). Using these figures and the fact I do 40,000kms like you do I'd need the following to recoup the initial $4000 install price: Previously using ULP 2.7 years or 98 1.8 years
I'd be lucky to keep the car much after 3 years, and if I wanted to save fuel cost I'd shift to ULP any way, it'd take me 2.7 years to recoup the cost. Then there is the poor fuel capacity, having to refuel every 350kms would grind my gears too unfortunately.
I love the technology, just wish the subsidies were still in place for the average punter.

You're right that if the cost margin between LPG and 98/ULP is small then the benefits of LPG cost-wise are reduced. Is LPG normally 72.9 and 98 around 150.7 ?

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
I know a bloke with a Redline wagon does 40,000+ who swapped pistons to run more compression, averages under 9l / 100k on flex fuel, which today is 103.6. That works out 11.44¢, cost $7k but goes better than an LSA (GTS) 0-100 under 4s with 600hp.
Supercharged performance for half the heat, mechanical fuss and fuel bill.

crackers0075

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I purchased a VF SSV REDLINE on gas a direct liquid injection Orbital system. At 145k the lifters fucked up and jammed down and stuffed the cam. Anyways replaced all parts and went a bigger Cam. Mechanic has remapped the cars ECU but told me I need someone with software for the Orbital system to remap that. Can anyone help with either the software or someone in Victoria that can remap the Orbital Gas ECU ?