Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Ride & Member

VF2SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 SSV Redline
Evening All,

Newbie here who finally purchased a VF2 SSV Redline after wanting one for some time and finally got one before prices shot higher then they already are - image attached.

Daniel's my name, I'm based in Sydney and recently purchased a white Oct 2017 Redline in AUTO with only 3,500km on the clock when purchased back in Jan22.
Car is completely stock, still has the original set of Potenza RE050As and is daily driven. Previous owner would only take it for the occasional spin around the block hence the low kms. Car now has 8,000kms on the clock.

Being the 2017 model has the Black exterior trims, mirror caps, rear lip etc. Right away I had a color correction and protection package applied to the exterior and leather protection to the interior to help maintain it.

The time has come to have some work done and I'm looking at booking in at Sam's Performance for their cam package which consists of the below:

Harrop OTR
Stage 2 Cam (220/226)
Dual valve springs
Heavy duty push rods
Upgraded rocker bearings
3inch Hurricane exhaust system with ceramic headers
Adding the factory bi-modal (apparently this can be done??)
Dyno tune

Happy to hear any feedback on the upgrades, anything I should be mindful of etc?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 136

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
Yep ...Upgrade the crappy horn lol. Seriously tho..I kept the factory bi-modal. Tbh I kinda regret it. I only use the 'sport' sound..should just gone decent sport mufflers. I went with a slightly bigger cam than what yr looking at...not a lot..just slightly ( 226/232 ) Mine is a manual. I also went with a melling high volume oil pump and upgraded the oil pickup clamp to a warspeed one ( factory is single bolt ). Upgraded the timing chain tensioner to an ls2 style one. Ceramic coated headers, high flow cats, 3" polished stainless x-force twin exh., Harrop otr. Welcome to JC mate.

Last edited:

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Love yr car btw. The black trim looks mint on the white body. Mine's a Nov '16 one..chrome trims. Black car though so the chrome suits

VF2SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 SSV Redline
Yep ...Upgrade the crappy horn lol. Seriously tho..I kept the factory bi-modal. Tbh I kinda regret it. I only use the 'sport' sound..should just gone decent sport mufflers. I went with a slightly bigger cam than what yr looking at...not a lot..just slightly ( 226/232 ) Mine is a manual. I also went with a melling high volume oil pump and upgraded the oil pickup clamp to a warspeed one ( factory is single bolt ). Upgraded the timing chain tensioner to an ls2 style one. Ceramic coated headers, high flow cats, 3" polished stainless x-force twin exh., Harrop otr. Welcome to JC mate.
Lol, I’ll make sure the horn is prioritised..

Thanks for the feedback mate. Only thinking to have the bi-modal added not to annoy the neighbours early mornings. Apart from that I’m happy not to add it. I’ll see what I decide..
How’s yours down low with the cam? I wanted to go bigger but being an auto I’m worried without upgrading the TC.

VF2SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 SSV Redline
Love yr car btw. The black trim looks mint on the white body. Mine's a Nov '16 one..chrome trims. Black car though so the chrome suits
Thanks mate - agree, chrome suits the black models.

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol, I’ll make sure the horn is prioritised..

Thanks for the feedback mate. Only thinking to have the bi-modal added not to annoy the neighbours early mornings. Apart from that I’m happy not to add it. I’ll see what I decide..
How’s yours down low with the cam? I wanted to go bigger but being an auto I’m worried without upgrading the TC.
Same reason I kept my bimodal lol...now I figure " fuckit..let them enjoy it as much as I do" hahaha. My cam is actually bloody good around town..way better than I expected. I cruise around at 15-1600rpm nicely. It would be great with an auto behind it..don't think you'd need to up your TC. Idles at 700ish. Btw..not sure if you have noticed but the paint on these cars is wafer thin...they scratch if you so much as look at them funny. I'd recommend a decent plush lined car cover.

VF2SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 SSV Redline
Same reason I kept my bimodal lol...now I figure " fuckit..let them enjoy it as much as I do" hahaha. My cam is actually bloody good around town..way better than I expected. I cruise around at 15-1600rpm nicely. It would be great with an auto behind it..don't think you'd need to up your TC. Idles at 700ish. Btw..not sure if you have noticed but the paint on these cars is wafer thin...they scratch if you so much as look at them funny. I'd recommend a decent plush lined car cover.
That’s good, how much power are you making at the wheels?

Yeah I know - one of the reasons why I had glass coating paint protection applied to the car

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s good, how much power are you making at the wheels?

Yeah I know - one of the reasons why I had glass coating paint protection applied to the car
316 rwkw. I think with better flowing mufflers I would have made a smidgen more. Its enough. Puts a smile on my face.

I'm yet to be convinced with the ceramic coating. Yeah it made it slippery..things don't stick..whether or not it protects against scratches is hard to say. As much as I like black id prefer if mine was white .. dirt and scratches show badly on black ( I've just picked up a few stone chips on my lower bar grrrr )..and I genuinely like white muscle cars.

VF2SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 SSV Redline
316 rwkw. I think with better flowing mufflers I would have made a smidgen more. Its enough. Puts a smile on my face.

I'm yet to be convinced with the ceramic coating. Yeah it made it slippery..things don't stick..whether or not it protects against scratches is hard to say. As much as I like black id prefer if mine was white .. dirt and scratches show badly on black ( I've just picked up a few stone chips on my lower bar grrrr )..and I genuinely like white muscle cars.
Nice, I should be looking at similar numbers.

Main reason for the coating is to protect it from the sun tbh. Car is parked out in the sun while at work but garaged at home.

Agree - Love Black, looks great clean, but noticeable when dirty.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I really don’t think you should look at ceramic coating as a scratch resistant product.
I would never not do it again on any of my future cars.
Paint correction and good coating cost factor in to the purchase price for me now.
Don’t get dealer coatings either if buying from them.