Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Summernats 35 (2023)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, locally here anyway. They have yearly drags and a burnout "Competition" here, there are dozens of cars gone to the wreckers after the weekend. Thinking about it when I was a young bloke there were a lot cars cut down for speedway, FX's, J's, XT's, Xy's even a few 2 door XM/P's cut up for speedway cars. Decent cars of that vintage are now cherished, times change. At least there was some skill, fastest driver won. I know people say it takes skill to spin your wheels and make smoke, I disagree. Some people think growing a mullet is a special skill, I'll agree mullets are the funniest.
It's a bit like walking around with the arse out of your pants (Tracky dackies for you bogans), everybody's laughing at you and you think your cool :p But if that's your thing then by all means, go your hardest.

Knowing a few people in the burnout scene in S.A, they all get together bolting together their cars, sitting round speaking shite, whilst enjoying a barbie and a few coldies/spirits...

Some have some desirable cars now, but those cars they have, have been owned by them for years....eg an HB Torana, a VK Commodore, a 1980's era Vette, a very Geminis, just for starters....

Yeah, not much skill smoking tyres, but try getting the driveline to handle a motor screaming at 6,000 RPM, in top gear (yeah top gear, not this first gear shite), whilst throwing the car into a spin and not smack into a wall....

Of course it's not for everyone, nor is it for everyone to sit around with mates just for a barbie, or to spend a few bucks upgrading the house, so you have more room to run around with your wanger hanging out and not hit things....But that's what makes the world go round

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For tyre shreading fun I would rather watch drifting

This...takes real skill

And yes, agreed drifting takes alot of skill..

The same can also be said about speedway....Flying around a track, doing 130 + (and being a little consertative), throwing it sideways and not smack into a wall or a bloody big tractor tyre, or even other competitors...(depending on the class) for 20 + laps....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Burnout Champion

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It would be a huge leap forward to host Summernats with a 1/4mile track as well. That would add to the spectacle. Top Fuel doing a few runs.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Yes, locally here anyway. They have yearly drags and a burnout "Competition" here, there are dozens of cars gone to the wreckers after the weekend. Thinking about it when I was a young bloke there were a lot cars cut down for speedway, FX's, J's, XT's, Xy's even a few 2 door XM/P's cut up for speedway cars. Decent cars of that vintage are now cherished, times change. At least there was some skill, fastest driver won. I know people say it takes skill to spin your wheels and make smoke, I disagree. Some people think growing a mullet is a special skill, I'll agree mullets are the funniest.
It's a bit like walking around with the arse out of your pants (Tracky dackies for you bogans), everybody's laughing at you and you think your cool :p But if that's your thing then by all means, go your hardest.
I say bullshit to that. Those cars didn't exist one hundred odd years ago.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
its more involved then just going out and doing a skid, there are technicalities to earning the points, also when prize money is in the 10k-40k per event u win its kinda not bad for a weekend of spinning your wheels

I say bullshit to that. Those cars didn't exist one hundred odd years ago.
:D :p

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
As I said each to their own, if you want to have a mullet, do crack, think that somebody who abuses a car to it's mechanical destruction is a highly skilled hero, any of those things then by all means go your hardest. Just don't be too indignant if others don't.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
We are all watching bits of this.
Maybe you are there?

Thought a thread to post cool video from various SocMed platforms would be good.

I’ve been watch Howard Astill’s Boss XC build and it’s there in the Top60 pavilion.

Saw this little gem of a number plate @NORTI
View attachment 246459

Also spotted a sick Cross8/Avalanche in a vid.
View attachment 246460
View attachment 246461
Sorry for the potato screen shots.
I was there, and I saw Norty, took a snapchat captioned 'if it has my name on it, it must be mine' :D

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I've never really got into the summernats style of burn out, I prefer stuff like drag racing, motor khan's, go to whoh??, engines sitting on the limiter makes me cringe

I entered RCN in 2022 and Summernats 2023 in the Senator - drag racing and motorkahana at RCN, and grass driving & go to whoa at Summernats.
The Senator is not for burnouts (well outside of the little drag warm up;))

I did a few skid comps in the VP, and decided I really do prefer drags, motorkhanas, hillclimbs, & go to whoa etc instead.

Knowing a few people in the burnout scene in S.A, they all get together bolting together their cars, sitting round speaking shite, whilst enjoying a barbie and a few coldies/spirits...

Some have some desirable cars now, but those cars they have, have been owned by them for years....eg an HB Torana, a VK Commodore, a 1980's era Vette, a very Geminis, just for starters....

Yeah, not much skill smoking tyres, but try getting the driveline to handle a motor screaming at 6,000 RPM, in top gear (yeah top gear, not this first gear shite), whilst throwing the car into a spin and not smack into a wall....

Of course it's not for everyone, nor is it for everyone to sit around with mates just for a barbie, or to spend a few bucks upgrading the house, so you have more room to run around with your wanger hanging out and not hit things....But that's what makes the world go round

There is an art to a 'good' burnout, and driver control/pad use really makes the difference.
Some of those old burnout cars are kicking around, or many of them sitting around in sheds now as ornaments (or maybe thats just our shed :D )
by all means shred tyres, but if you are just hammering the limiter and doing doughnuts or statics, its boring. Need that driver skill and finesse to hit all points on the pad and mix up menouvres whilst keeping the smoke going. Its harder than people think.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
IMG_2561.JPG