Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools & Tool Brands

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Roadside is better than runflats or getting your hands dirty. I paid like $100 extra with my insurance for it

@Skylarking If they can't do the job on the roadside they tow it for you. You have to tell them what the vehicle is you're getting coverage for so they know what to charge and expect
When a relative had that flat tyre and called roadside assistance, the car was actually in her garage. Luckily she noticed the flat before driving out mid morning… I believe she was told over the phone they can’t change the tyre on her SUV (yes they knew what car she had back then) but she didn’t even think to ask for it to be towed anywhere. Guess by that time she decided it was simply quicker for her to call me rather than wait some more for a tow truck. And since I live very close, I dropped by and changed the wheel for her so all was sweet… Don’t know why just she didn’t call me to begin with…

I don’t pay directly for roadside assistance but I believe my cars are covered under the dealer service and warranty arrangement. Not that I’ve ever availed myself of such services.

I’m also not a huge fan of run flats. Supposedly neither are some BMW owners who’s rims have been known to crack because of their design and the use of those harsh run flats :rolleyes:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
BMW alloys 18" and higher crack because they're junk. I'm not a fan of the runflats, I just ditched mine but I have a space saver. They're not that bad though if you buy something decent

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, much more needs to be tested before someone is allowed to take their license out of that cornflakes box… including what is safe behaviour around a broken down vehicle and not just limited to how to safely change a wheel roadside.

Unfortunately your roadside assistance may not be able to be relied upon to help so it’s best to check your terms and conditions. Why check, because years ago they wouldn’t change a wheel on big SUV due to OH&S as a relative found out…

Maybe things have changed since then and now they’re required to carry a portable wheel lift hoist. But one can’t be certain they’d be allowed to help unless they ask their roadside assistance provider what the rules are around the humongous wheels fitted to the many SUV/4x4 behemoths we see infecting our roads…

It is funny how the OH&S laws operate...It stipulates, truck drivers aren't allowed to change their flats...(Not to sure how it works in the middle of nowhere though), but if you are a fitter, they don't have a problem....

About 10 years back, I had a OH&S officer come into my work place, banging on about weights being lifted on your own and all the crap....

I happened to be a service fitter and when I said to him, I wanted his phone number, so when I had to go to a road side callout, I will ring him so he can help me lifting the tyre and wheel...He soon shut his trap and walked out the door....

I do see the likes of the RAA or interstate equivilant on the side of the road, changing wheels on various types of vehicles, using a simple trolley jack

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Roadside is better than runflats or getting your hands dirty. I paid like $100 extra with my insurance for it

@Skylarking If they can't do the job on the roadside they tow it for you. You have to tell them what the vehicle is you're getting coverage for so they know what to charge and expect
Luckily I had roadside when the engine on my 1966 Vespa Super heat seized on the way from Melbourne to Daylesford. Me and the scooter got a lift back from Daylesford to Melbourne.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It is funny how the OH&S laws operate...
Yeah and whether you’re 5’2” at 45 kg or 6’7” at 120kg (of muscle, built like a brick shithouse), OH&S along with union rules dictate both can only lift the same weigh of 25kgs (I think).

Somewhat crazy since the small bloke is required to lift 55% (25/45) of his body weight while the big bloke is only required to lift 21% (25/120j of his body weight.

If it was a level playing field w.r.t. safe lifting amounts, it’d be based on percentages of body weight. So if it was safe for a small bloke to lift 55% of his body weight, then it’d be safe for a big bloke to lift the same which equates to 66 kgs…

And if that was the case, in that context you’d hope a big bloke comes to your roadside rescue :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah and whether you’re 5’2” at 45 kg or 6’7” at 120kg (of muscle, built like a brick shithouse), OH&S along with union rules dictate both can only lift the same weigh of 25kgs (I think).

Somewhat crazy since the small bloke is required to lift 55% (25/45) of his body weight while the big bloke is only required to lift 21% (25/120j of his body weight.

If it was a level playing field w.r.t. safe lifting amounts, it’d be based on percentages of body weight. So if it was safe for a small bloke to lift 55% of his body weight, then it’d be safe for a big bloke to lift the same which equates to 66 kgs…

And if that was the case, in that context you’d hope a big bloke comes to your roadside rescue :p

I did hear the rules have changed over it, but for me I ignore it and not in any union. Just get on with the job

I'd love the weight to be round 66KGS.....But some aren't..I just deal with it and get on with the task at hand

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Not sure if this has been covered before.

Air compressors. What’s the go these days, belt drive or direct drive? Will a Bunnings shitter do the job for a car hoist that needs min 30 psi? Can’t see myself using it more than for the hoist and car/bike tyres.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Air compressors. What’s the go these days, belt drive or direct drive? Will a Bunnings shitter do the job for a car hoist that needs min 30 psi? Can’t see myself using it more than for the hoist and car/bike tyres.
Belt drives are usually quieter, the pump doesn't have to spin as fast.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Good question. Belt drive is usally considered the preferable in the piston type, but also have a look at the diaphragm type compressors in direct drive. The diaphragm type are amazing quiet.

I got rid of a couple of old direct drive (piston) type compressors and replaced them with one of the diaphragm types. This was the one I went with (aluminium tank is a bonus too) https://www.totaltools.com.au/126874-ironair-36l-2hp-super-quiet-direct-drive-compressor-ttd1240al