Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0L questions

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Don't get me wrong, I love them and I'll always own them. But they are not well built, everything rattles, everything moves, everything breaks when you touch it etc.

Maybe this is why I love the 90s stuff, I too can relate to not being well built, and breaking easily :D the older I get the more I cost to maintain as well....

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Let's face it during most of Holden's operation they were rarely a Co that pushed the boundaries. They were nearly always pretty conservative in their builds compared to other manufacturers.
Even my VE's interior has way more rattles and squeaks than our Kia's and they are both the same age.

Nowhere near as bad as the earlier models, but you definately notice the quality differences.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Even my VE's interior has way more rattles and squeaks than our Kia's and they are both the same age.

Nowhere near as bad as the earlier models, but you definately notice the quality differences.
I remember going from VR Calais to VE Calais when they were a couple of years old and being so underwhelmed. Where was the Calais-ness?!

so very disappointed. Ended up with a WM, closer in comfort. I still thought the VR seats were better :D

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I remember going from VR Calais to VE Calais when they were a couple of years old and being so underwhelmed. Where was the Calais-ness?!

so very disappointed. Ended up with a WM, closer in comfort. I still thought the VR seats were better :D
I had a WM 6L Caprice for 2 years before I went back to utes for more practicality.
10432085_10206302047134671_870196836226727530_n_zpsaflvkzx1.jpg

For a car that was $80K new (had all the extra options) I was also underwealmed.

The leather seats were stiff and had little cushioning or bolstering (The VR caprice seats are way nicer). The interior rattled as much as an omega would, and also let as much road noise through.

The suspension in the Caprice models was still the same FE2 that they ran in the SS/SV6 so it wasn't that cushy floaty ride etc.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Will agree over the seats....I have VS seats in my VC and they are more comfortable than the seats in my VY executive... :)

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I had a WM 6L Caprice for 2 years before I went back to utes for more practicality.
10432085_10206302047134671_870196836226727530_n_zpsaflvkzx1.jpg

For a car that was $80K new (had all the extra options) I was also underwealmed.

The leather seats were stiff and had little cushioning or bolstering (The VR caprice seats are way nicer). The interior rattled as much as an omega would, and also let as much road noise through.

The suspension in the Caprice models was still the same FE2 that they ran in the SS/SV6 so it wasn't that cushy floaty ride etc.
Interior wise for some Holdens, “bearly Holden Together”

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I think I’ll probably pass on the 5L given it isn’t the best platform to get relatively easy power from. Although it’s sound and vintage Commodore vibes are unparalleled.

To get good power from a VE SS, is a supercharger or turbo required, or is the N/A platform with full bolt ons (including a big cam) enough for a plenty quick V8 VE SS?

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think I’ll probably pass on the 5L given it isn’t the best platform to get relatively easy power from. Although it’s sound and vintage Commodore vibes are unparalleled.

To get good power from a VE SS, is a supercharger or turbo required, or is the N/A platform with full bolt ons (including a big cam) enough for a plenty quick V8 VE SS?

Cheers
LS2 would go alright I suspect. Cammed L98 gets boring pretty quick.